Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

427 big block and 454 big block

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
You should probably measure up the BB and the engine bay and see what you're going to need to chop up to fit it in there. Then talk to a suspension/chassis person as the suspension will need to handle all that weight and I'd think the BB's torque will twist the Cortina bad so the whole thing will need reinforcement. Is it a TC or TD? I like the TD.

kylej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive s2
its a TC body but with TD headlights tail lights and intirior.
the 427 will be a tight fit and yeah i know the reinforcement is gunna be a pain in the butt but it will be worth it.
the suspenion is gunna cost me 3 grand to keep it legal.
although a avinue just opened up 5 minutes ago.
mate is gunna sell me his worked 351 and a 2 speed power glide and a 4 speed manual

kylej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive s2
but only prick if i do a alternator or anything i have to rip motor out to change it with the bb in it

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
its a TC body but with TD headlights tail lights and intirior.
the 427 will be a tight fit and yeah i know the reinforcement is gunna be a pain in the butt but it will be worth it.
the suspenion is gunna cost me 3 grand to keep it legal.
although a avinue just opened up 5 minutes ago.
mate is gunna sell me his worked 351 and a 2 speed power glide and a 4 speed manual

You know there are 351 Windsors stroked to 427? Much more suitable to the Cortina if you want cubes. Have a look at some of the 351 strokers here to see what's possible with a smallblock: Ford_Index_Stroker Engines_Crate Motors_Stroker Kits_NC Custom Stroker Engines-TandLEngine Development Stanfield, NC

kylej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive s2
Vr94ss the only thing is that i got the 454 and the 427 in the shed and pretty much everything to put it in only thing i gotta buy is the stuff the strengthen the body.
but this 351 is worked to a 402 so it might do what i want it to do hehe :)

Last edited:

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Vr94ss the only thing is that i got the 454 and the 427 in the shed and pretty much everything to put it in only thing i gotta buy is the stuff the strengthen the body.
but this 351 is worked to a 402 so it might do what i want it to do hehe :)

It's really up to you and your wallet. I'd think a BB in a Cortina would handle like a pig on the roads. That much weight in the front would probably make it almost a given that you'd have to use the accelerator to slide the arse to match the understeer the weight in the front would cause. Then you'd be a hoon of course:) Remember this is just my opinion and you should do what you really want to do.

edit: Just googling the TD and I'd suspect the TC is the same in this regard, the weight of the straight 6 made them under steer, imagine what twice the weight would do to handling.
Here's a nice TD with v8: http://www.pepsgarage.com/cortina_phase.htm

Last edited:

kylej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive s2
vr84ss my mate is selling me a 351 blown out to a 402 with a cam and everything was rebuilt 2 months ago is sitting in a car he is striping now cause its got to much rust so ima go the 351/402 with a 4 speed behind it and ill find a diff later. it comes out of his old car that is now over taken by rust from sitting and he wants 300 and i can have the lot