Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by Tsunamix, May 27, 2016.

1. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    Holden gets green light from Detroit to built $165,000 Commodore with supercharged Corvette power

Holden gets green light from Detroit to build $165,000 Commodore with supercharged Corvette power
    MAY 27, 201611:44AM

The HSV GTS will form the basis of a new Holden supercar with Corvette power. Picture: Supplied.
    Joshua Dowling
    News Corp Australia Network
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on Google+
    Share on Reddit
    Email a friend
    TALK about going out with a bang!
    Holden will build a Commodore with more power than a Lamborghini as a high octane farewell present before the Adelaide production line falls silent next year.
    The fastest and most powerful Commodore ever made will also be the most expensive, expected to cost in excess of $165,000 — almost twice the price of the dearest model on sale today.
    It will be the last V8 sedan made locally, and the most powerful vehicle produced in more than 100 years of Australian car manufacturing.
    Holden declined to comment on “future model plans”, however News Corp Australia can exclusively reveal General Motors in Detroit has finally given the green light to build a Commodore powered by the supercharged “LS9” V8 from the Corvette ZR1.
    The supercharged V8 from the Corvette ZR1 is heading for the Commodore. Picture: Supplied.
    The supercharged V8 from the Corvette ZR1 is heading for the Commodore. Picture: Supplied.Source:News Limited
    The swan song supercar will eclipse the power of the current Commodore flagship — the Holden Special Vehicles GTS — with performance that will outpace the latest Porsches and Ferraris.
    It will only be available with a manual gearbox because the engine has too much power for an automatic.
    With in excess of 600 horsepower (or 475kW in modern terms) the limited edition will have more grunt than a V8 Supercar racing machine.
    Fewer than 250 are expected to be built, as there are only a limited number of these particular supercharged V8 engines available out of the US.

The heart of the matter: the LS9 supercharged V8 has more than 600 horsepower.

Holden dealers have been inundated with inquiries following speculation on internet forums — but the project is so secret they too are in the dark.
    Fan gossip says the car will be called “GTS-R”, a reference to a limited edition from 1996. But News Corp understands the new super sedan will have a unique name to reflect its exclusivity.
    The supercar will be made by Holden Special Vehicles, a separate Melbourne-based firm that has been building Holden’s performance models for 29 years after the breakup with racing legend Peter Brock.
    HSV GTS will get a more powerful stablemate, but the name is still a mystery. Picture: Supplied.

Part of the reason the Holden supercar is so expensive is because it will be built in a partially complete form on the Adelaide production line with the supercharged engine and gearbox from the HSV GTS — which will then be replaced by the “LS9” V8 at HSV in Melbourne.
    It is not the first time HSV has performed a ‘heart transplant’.
    In 2008 the company replaced the “donor” Holden engine with a massive 7.0-litre V8 from a racing version of the Corvette; in the end 137 HSV W427 cars were built at a cost of $155,500 each. Production ended prematurely in 2009 as the Global Financial Crisis took hold.
    With buyers holding out for the last locally made Commodores, Holden is confident the supercar will be an instant sellout — especially as the imported Commodore due in 2018 will only have four-cylinder and V6 power.

2. aussieakito

aussieakito Gold Certified Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
    165k.... rather a r35 GTR or AMG

3. Rajesh Koothrappali

Rajesh Koothrappali Banned

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    Precisely... Cashed up bogans are stupid though. They'll buy em.

4. villn808

villn808 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SSV Sedan
    If I had the money I would buy it, over many other cars built overseas, mostly for that fact. 1 of 250. I can't see it depreciating in a hurry, probably the opposite. Guess that would make me a bogan, and stupid. You are a tool.

5. Rajesh Koothrappali

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    That's what the cashed up bogans said about the W427. $174,000 drive away. Now asking for $93,000. Yeah, um, LOL!

Duuuuuh, my Holden I paid $165k for won't depreciate in a hurry, duuuuuh.

Now who looks like the tool?

6. vombil

vombil Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 UTE
    maloo gts UTE. very limited build - took a massive haircut when all the speculators sold theirs after driving them round the block a few times

7. RACE5L

RACE5L Solid cammed

Members Ride:
    VH 355
    You need to hold onto it for a little more than 10yrs, and there will be no taxi spec Holden with more power to follow as per recent builds in the last 20 years. Better ways to invest your money, even if a CUB.

8. villn808

villn808 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SSV Sedan
    W427 wasn't the most powerful Australian car ever to be made, or last HSV V8 rear wheel drive sedan.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  9. crew_man

crew_man Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
    Like you have said in another thread - you buy Commodores because you enjoy them, not because they are the best made or best value.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people that feel the same but have a lot more money to spend that will love to buy these. At the end of the day it also offers far more exclusivity than the c63 or others that are comparable cars at the same price, which is something that people spending this much money want.

It's also too early to tell what you actually get for the money (or even whether it will actually cost $165k)- I'm sure that HSV has learnt from the past that they need to offer a lot to get people to spend so much money on a Commodore. I seriously doubt it'll just be a case of doubling the cost of an R8 LSA for nothing more than an extra 70kw

10. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    $165 buys a lot of car, my money wouldnt be spent on a holden. They should have made it 110 or 120. LS9 crate motors are only 25K

11. crew_man

crew_man Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
    Pricing hasn't officially been announced yet, so as far as we know it will be around $110k-$120k. It all really depends on the engineering that needs to go into it as well as any other goodies that they decide to add that aren't available on other HSV's

12. villn808

villn808 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY15 SSV Sedan
    That's a better way of putting it. Take note Koothrappali.

13. Rajesh Koothrappali

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    WTF? I agree entirely with what arronm says. $165k buys a lot of car and my money wouldn't be spent on a Holden either... A slightly higher price point than the GTS it would make more sense. You could always buy a second hand SS, SSV or SSV Redline and drop another $30k - $40k on it for a LS9 crate motor plus extras to still come out on top!

Stop with the petty insults and threats. They're nothing more than the sign of a weak minded keyboard warrior. Disagree, fine. But wake up to yourself.

14. Hertz Donut

Hertz Donut Member

Members Ride:
    Beastmode VS Equipe
    I wouldn't buy it. If I wanted 470kw+ I'd start with a used LS1/2/3-powered car and spend thousands getting there, and still have tens of thousands left over to buy something that actually will appreciate in my lifetime, like an RB-series Skyline GTR. Without a racing pedigree I'm just not that interested, and I bloody love Holdens (for what they are).

Unless it came with a decent tow pack of course. Then I'm in like a robber's dog.

15. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    It's not about having a 470kw thrasher. Make no mistake - the car will dip a little in value initially only to head north again relatively quickly (ie. within 10 years). Very few of these cars will see any meaningful km after the first year or 2 of their lives, if at all. There is no doubt that you can probably go faster for way less but that is not what this car is about. That said, I'd consider it for a work hack :p

16. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Thing is this WILL be the last Commodore so it will be an instant collectors car, you won't have the same issue as the W427 did.

17. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    It doesn't matter if we'd buy it or not, if it is too expensive or not, these will be sold out before we even get a chance to decide to own one or not!

For $160,000 I'd have a C63 any day of the week but the commodore will appeal to plenty of people who want bulk horse power.

18. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I think it's a sign of the times when local production is about to cease because the cars being built here are less and less relevant to an increasing percentage of buyers but the final year of production sees an emphasis on cars that are even more irrelevant.

Would I, a true lover of Holdens, buy one? Nope.

But then I wouldn't spend that sort of money on ANY car. Even if it was affordable.

19. Rajesh Koothrappali

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    they'll be half price in a few years. :D

20. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, Gen F 2 GTS, Holden Captiva seres 2 D
    i have the feeling its more of a final money grab for HSV the company will fade in the coming two years, so 80-90g profit per GTS-R times 250 quick = a quick twenty million than close the doors sounds like a good business decision to me