Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Holden gets green light from Detroit to built $165,000 Commodore with supercharged Corvette power

Holden gets green light from Detroit to build $165,000 Commodore with supercharged Corvette power
MAY 27, 201611:44AM

The HSV GTS will form the basis of a new Holden supercar with Corvette power. Picture: Supplied.
Joshua Dowling
News Corp Australia Network
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on Reddit
Email a friend
TALK about going out with a bang!
Holden will build a Commodore with more power than a Lamborghini as a high octane farewell present before the Adelaide production line falls silent next year.
The fastest and most powerful Commodore ever made will also be the most expensive, expected to cost in excess of $165,000 — almost twice the price of the dearest model on sale today.
It will be the last V8 sedan made locally, and the most powerful vehicle produced in more than 100 years of Australian car manufacturing.
Holden declined to comment on “future model plans”, however News Corp Australia can exclusively reveal General Motors in Detroit has finally given the green light to build a Commodore powered by the supercharged “LS9” V8 from the Corvette ZR1.
The supercharged V8 from the Corvette ZR1 is heading for the Commodore. Picture: Supplied.
The supercharged V8 from the Corvette ZR1 is heading for the Commodore. Picture: Supplied.Source:News Limited
The swan song supercar will eclipse the power of the current Commodore flagship — the Holden Special Vehicles GTS — with performance that will outpace the latest Porsches and Ferraris.
It will only be available with a manual gearbox because the engine has too much power for an automatic.
With in excess of 600 horsepower (or 475kW in modern terms) the limited edition will have more grunt than a V8 Supercar racing machine.
Fewer than 250 are expected to be built, as there are only a limited number of these particular supercharged V8 engines available out of the US.

The heart of the matter: the LS9 supercharged V8 has more than 600 horsepower.

Holden dealers have been inundated with inquiries following speculation on internet forums — but the project is so secret they too are in the dark.
Fan gossip says the car will be called “GTS-R”, a reference to a limited edition from 1996. But News Corp understands the new super sedan will have a unique name to reflect its exclusivity.
The supercar will be made by Holden Special Vehicles, a separate Melbourne-based firm that has been building Holden’s performance models for 29 years after the breakup with racing legend Peter Brock.
HSV GTS will get a more powerful stablemate, but the name is still a mystery. Picture: Supplied.

Part of the reason the Holden supercar is so expensive is because it will be built in a partially complete form on the Adelaide production line with the supercharged engine and gearbox from the HSV GTS — which will then be replaced by the “LS9” V8 at HSV in Melbourne.
It is not the first time HSV has performed a ‘heart transplant’.
In 2008 the company replaced the “donor” Holden engine with a massive 7.0-litre V8 from a racing version of the Corvette; in the end 137 HSV W427 cars were built at a cost of $155,500 each. Production ended prematurely in 2009 as the Global Financial Crisis took hold.
With buyers holding out for the last locally made Commodores, Holden is confident the supercar will be an instant sellout — especially as the imported Commodore due in 2018 will only have four-cylinder and V6 power.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Precisely... Cashed up bogans are stupid though. They'll buy em.

If I had the money I would buy it, over many other cars built overseas, mostly for that fact. 1 of 250. I can't see it depreciating in a hurry, probably the opposite. Guess that would make me a bogan, and stupid. You are a tool.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
If I had the money I would buy it, over many other cars built overseas, mostly for that fact. 1 of 250. I can't see it depreciating in a hurry, probably the opposite. Guess that would make me a bogan, and stupid. You are a tool.

That's what the cashed up bogans said about the W427. $174,000 drive away. Now asking for $93,000. Yeah, um, LOL!

Duuuuuh, my Holden I paid $165k for won't depreciate in a hurry, duuuuuh.

Now who looks like the tool?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
maloo gts UTE. very limited build - took a massive haircut when all the speculators sold theirs after driving them round the block a few times

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
That's what the cashed up bogans said about the W427. $174,000 drive away. Now asking for $93,000. Yeah, um, LOL!

You need to hold onto it for a little more than 10yrs, and there will be no taxi spec Holden with more power to follow as per recent builds in the last 20 years. Better ways to invest your money, even if a CUB.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride

W427 wasn't the most powerful Australian car ever to be made, or last HSV V8 rear wheel drive sedan.

Last edited by a moderator:

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Precisely... Cashed up bogans are stupid though. They'll buy em.

Like you have said in another thread - you buy Commodores because you enjoy them, not because they are the best made or best value.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people that feel the same but have a lot more money to spend that will love to buy these. At the end of the day it also offers far more exclusivity than the c63 or others that are comparable cars at the same price, which is something that people spending this much money want.

It's also too early to tell what you actually get for the money (or even whether it will actually cost $165k)- I'm sure that HSV has learnt from the past that they need to offer a lot to get people to spend so much money on a Commodore. I seriously doubt it'll just be a case of doubling the cost of an R8 LSA for nothing more than an extra 70kw

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
$165 buys a lot of car, my money wouldnt be spent on a holden. They should have made it 110 or 120. LS9 crate motors are only 25K