Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by Tsunamix, May 27, 2016.

1. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    "Running out" and "cost-effective availability" are two different things though.
    There's a surprising (to me) interest in alternatives (in the context of this discussion an "alternative" is where you don't stick petrol in it) at the moment (the number of Teslas on the road for example - despite the price!).

Was there a mandated removal of leaded petrol from service stations? Or was that a response to fewer & fewer people buying it? And delivery of ULP uses the same hardware/infrastructure as delivery of Leaded, if 95% of people go to servos to buy high-speed electricity or hydrogen or something, then a Ye Olde Petrol Bowser is going to be taking-up a lot of wasted real-estate.

Have a look on CarSales for FPV GT-351's (I think that's what they're called), the last of the GT's.
    There are a couple of dealers who seem to think they'll get ~$120k for one!
    On the flipside, if even one of those does sell for anything near that, then the LS9 GTS-based HSV would actually be worth more than list-price within a year.

2. Risky

Risky Guest

Lol yeah I did. Not worth the price & I'd never own a Ford ever again nor drive one. Sure prices might stabilize for a year or so but depreciation will kill it. Then in 50 years it'll be worth something if there's any still around.

In regards with alternative fuel sources, Hydrogen is the way to go but the oil magnates wont want that. Electric cars need long charge times & have a limited range. Not a good idea in a country like ours. Even Nissan took the Leaf off the market quietly.

3. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Just because there is stuff in the ground doesn't mean that it will make it to the bowser.....and even if it does, it still doesn't mean it will be affordable.

Look at what technology was like in 1966 compared to today and then consider what technology might look like in 2066 given the pace of acceleration we see today....that's right, we have no idea at all.

4. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Purely by chance, in the last 5 minutes I've seen this:

"All new cars in Germany to be electric by 2030" ie: emissions free

So I guess, don't forget the power of government legislation!

5. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, Gen F 2 GTS, Holden Captiva seres 2 D
    "emissions free" is a fun title where do there think the electricity comes from?

6. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    It's Germany, so I don't know ... probably nuclear & wind with a bit of solar & tidal by 2030?
    They're not as far behind as we are.
    A quick Google shows 40% was nuclear & renewable, in 2010 ... but I wonder how much of "renewable" was ethanol?

Actually, even if they were as dirty in producing their electricity as we are, surely it's still a Valid Thing; it's got to be easier to switch the grid over to something like hydrogen-turbine or solar + wind or even nuclear, than to switch every single car?

7. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Unless you daily it into the ground the LS9 HSV will depreciate a minimal amount to year 6 or 7 and then start an up trend again. There are **many** other investments which will bring far greater returns for sure however applying the 60%/2 years (or whatever) for this car is way off the mark.

8. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I need to convince my better-half to get one ... we've had the Commode a year now & it's just ticked over 8k km, with the first carpark-damage only appearing last week (sometimes you wish you could see who it was that slammed their door into your car, so you could repeatedly slam their head in their own car's door until their head was just a bloody dripping nub).

9. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    I hear it comes from Unicorn farts.

10. Risky

Risky Guest

I agree that the LS9 HSV will be a great car & a great send send off to Holden's local manufacturing. I can't see many of these being driven on a daily basis. How many W427's have you seen on the road? It's back to the supply from the manufacturer & the demand in a number of years time for the vehicle itself. Cars make horrible investments. Lol in saying that, I have noticed that Redbook have upgraded the value of the VU-VZ utes by a couple of grand. I've been wondering why dealers are asking silly money for them recently.

I just park far away from everyone else when I'm out shopping. Sometimes you just get that one idiot that opens his door & scratches you car & is still parked there when you're back. Last time that happened to my Grand Vitara the other persons car (who happened to have my paint on his door) had an "accident" with my spanner a few times on his body work. He shouldn't have parked so close when I was re-arranging my toolbox when I got back from shopping.

11. Cava454

Cava454 Member

Members Ride:
    VR SS, VZ SS
    Fark some you blokes are depressing.

It's a car aimed at people who can willingly afford it, not you lot complaining "oh damn I'm gunna loose 50k on it in 10 years"

12. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    You'd just tighten your $50k back up, and you'd be sweet!

13. 'ssv'

'ssv' Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
    Mercedes-AMG

A bit more expensive over here sure, but 100 times better car!
    But if you have the cash to buy one out right, you'd probably add the ls9 commodore to the stable also.

It will still be a very nice car and attract a certain type of buyer but seriously, check out the 2017 e63.
    Same price but way more car for the money.

14. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    It was mandated and unleaded was phased out in 1986. That was the principal reason, for example, that Commodores switched from the old Red/Blue/Black 6 to the Nissan engine. Making the old nail run on unleaded reduced its power so much it would have struggled cutting a healthy lawn.

@SSV

Can't argue with you there. No matter what Holden or HSV do to their cars, they would never have the cachet, quality or appeal of any current model Mercedes. Particularly the quality. Mercs and other costly German cars don't sell for the inflated prices just because of import duties and sales taxes. The quality of the engineering, the level of advanced safety features, the design and the quality of the materials used inside and out is far better than our local vehicles have ever been. If, as you suggest, the e63 matches the new HSV in cost, and I had that sort of cash, I know where I would be spending it.

15. NU13

NU13 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
    At $165,000 why not just buy a Corvette or Camaro?

16. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Because I have no more interest in a poxy Camaro or Corvette than a Commodore?

New cars had to be able to run on unleaded (with a couple of exceptions) for 1986, but did it become illegal to sell leaded or did it's availability just dry-up as cars which couldn't run on unleaded dried up?

17. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Or take $50 and build a killer 10 second runner with all the comforts and invest $115k in something more worthwhile....

Leaded fuel wasn't 'banned' until 2012 IIRC and only in automobiles. Kind of gave a decent amnesty from the 80's to get all requirements for lead addressed. Avgas still contains lead and will continue to so that light aircraft remain maintainable but there are some low-lead derivatives on the market.

18. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Hmm, stretching the memory banks now, but obviously, leaded had to remain available for some time after 1986 as so many vehicles back then couldn't run on unleaded and as I recall, additives for unleaded to run in the older cars wasn't all that readly available. I was driving a 1982 Camira in 1999 and leaded was still available then. I think it was just gradually phased out as the number of older leaded engined cars diminished. By around 2004 or so, it was pretty much finished. There was a legal use-by date sometime around then.

19. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    Leaded fuel had 10c a litre added at some point, interesting about older cars not running on it as in NZ they had banned leaded fuel a long time before it was in Aussie, maybe the fuel in that time had very poor octane levels.

Also interested is running a car without a cat on unleaded spews carcinogens into the air so banning leaded fuel changed the way they were poisoning the world, but the world was still being poisoned!

20. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman
    100 times better! Wow, that's incredible. We all love AMGs, but I think you're underselling VF just slightly there.