Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Over a period of years, rarity will always be the strongest determinant of value.

For example, who would ever have thought that humble HR Premiers would fetch almost 30k and they were built in their thousands. Time has reduced that number dramatically and clean original cars that were once mass produced are now collectable and valuable.

Cars with extremely small production numbers will always have a much higher retained value and will ultimately appreciate beyond their original price.

Last edited:
R

Risky

I wouldn't buy one. Namely that the price would drop like a ton of bricks as soon as you drove it out of the showroom & then you'd have to wait for years for it to claw back. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice concept but I couldn't own one for the depreciation & I can't wait 50 odd years for it to be worth close to $1million. Plus I don't like the push button handbrake of the VF's

I remember when Holden stopped making the HX Monaro that the early HK HT HG ones were hitting the market reasonably cheap regardless if it was a 6cyl or V8. By this time most have been thrashed & crashed. Street machiners were rebuilding them throwing out the 6cyl with V8's & spending huge amounts of money customising them. There weren't many originals left. Now if you went looking for a HK HT HG Monaro, the rarest ones are an unmolested 6cyl & not the V8's that fetch the big money.

The problem is that a car needs many years to appreciate in it's collectable value. As Calaber stated, during those years time has reduced their numbers. EH's are in the $30-$40K+ bracket & that's for a 53 year old car that took time to achieve this from it's $2100 original price tag & 256,000 were made from '63 to '65.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Highly doubt people buy these cars looking to make an investment.

You buy this car cause you want to. Sure they are expensive but you get a hell of a lot for the coin. The engine is 2nd to non in the ls range.

This isn't just a 20k engine slapped in. There is some big associated costs to get it into production, including the dispensation the govt had to give Holden as it didn't meet emissions.

Let's face it. The targeted group of buyers aren't blokes saving their cash for 10years. These are guys already cruising around in porches, c63's etc.

R

Risky

Highly doubt people buy these cars looking to make an investment.

You buy this car cause you want to. Sure they are expensive but you get a hell of a lot for the coin. The engine is 2nd to non in the ls range.

This isn't just a 20k engine slapped in. There is some big associated costs to get it into production, including the dispensation the govt had to give Holden as it didn't meet emissions.

Let's face it. The targeted group of buyers aren't blokes saving their cash for 10years. These are guys already cruising around in porches, c63's etc.

I agree, but there will be some silly dill who thinks it'll make more money after Holden ceases local production in several years time after buying it brand new. If I was to buy one, it'd be in a couple of years time when the depreciation hits.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There's another aspect to consider here.

For years, early Holdens were worth nothing after a very short period. Early models rusted to death inside five years if not looked after. FX/FJ models were still cheap as chips when they were forty years old. But sometime during the 90's, things started to change. Some early girls such as the performance Monaro's were coming back into vogue and those who wanted them had to look hard to find good ones. Their low value meant they had been abused and thrashed, or rusted to death. If you wanted one, be prepared to pay more for it. Rarity and time have now driven them to huge levels. It's that development, plus the fact that Holdens are ceasing local production shortly,that makes people now think that perhaps, given a certain combination of options and the right performance or luxury level, they might also appreciate in years to come.

It's true that the high values of early Holdens now have taken around 50 years to realise, but given that modern cars probably won't last as long as the simple, tough old Holdens of the past because of the amount of plastics and electronics which fail in our climate over time, it's likely that good clean and well maintained 15 - 20 year old VF's could be worth more than they are now. I doubt that it will take as long as the old models because people now think of preserving the present as well as the past.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Even over that shorter time frame of 15 - 20 years, there are far better uses and probable returns on investment than a Commodore though, especially taking into account the expense involved in storing, maintaining, insuring etc over that period.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Even over that shorter time frame of 15 - 20 years, there are far better uses and probable returns on investment than a Commodore though, especially taking into account the expense involved in storing, maintaining, insuring etc over that period.

I'm not suggesting that you go out and deliberately buy a late production Holden just for the purpose of capital gain over two decades. My point is that IMO, the last Australian designed and built Holdens WILL appreciate faster than they have in the past and if you have a good one in 2035, it will have appreciated significantly if it has the right combo of options and equipment. I think that a base Evoke, however, probably won't ever get to iconic status unless it survives for 50 years or more, which is unlikely.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Will we even have fuel for these things in 50 yrs time ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I thought everyone on this forum was in the demographic (just not cashed up for it)

Other way around mate!

Will we even have fuel for these things in 50 yrs time ?

Of course we bloody will. It may cost more but there's **** loads of oil in the world. Shale oil has yet to be tapped and it's more abundant than crude. It takes more refining hence will cost more but we aren't running out of fossil fuels any time soon.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm not suggesting that you go out and deliberately buy a late production Holden just for the purpose of capital gain over two decades. My point is that IMO, the last Australian designed and built Holdens WILL appreciate faster than they have in the past and if you have a good one in 2035, it will have appreciated significantly if it has the right combo of options and equipment. I think that a base Evoke, however, probably won't ever get to iconic status unless it survives for 50 years or more, which is unlikely.

Pretty much sums it up right there ^^^^