Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Ah okay, so the ZR1 used to be the supercharged version, that must have changed because the Chevrolet website that I linked earlier definitely says the current Z06 is supercharged...

Z06 features a lightweight and rigid aluminum space frame, as well as a supercharged 6.2L aluminum V8 engine delivering 650 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque.

Yeah it looks like the model lineup has changed, the Corvette Stingray and Grand Sport have the naturally aspirated 6.2L Gen V LT1, and the Z06 has the supercharged Gen V LT4 engine. It appears they've dropped the ZR1 model, which is why I was confused.

Anyway, that just further illustrates that the LS9 hasn't been used for years, I'm sure I read that they're no longer manufactured because the changed to the Gen V engines?

Andrew

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Yes there is no ZR1 in the current C7 Corvette range, the ZR1 badge tends to be reserved for a ultra performance version of the Corvette whenever GM feels like building one, the Z06 tends to be a regular production option, the last ZR1 was a C6.

While the LS9 is not used in any current GM vehicle its still being produced and readily available as a crate engine from GM if you have about 20k US floating around.

According to GM each LS9 was hand built by a single engine builder for the C6 ZR1 Corvette only, so if it does happen, the Commodore will be the only car other than the ZR1 to come out with a LS9.

Sure the LT4 in the current C7 Z06 now produces a bit more power than the LS9 (485kw vs 476kw) it's hardly a boat anchor and I assume the gen V would not be a easy dropin to the Commodore.