Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4AGE 20v silvertop Rwd Turbo corolla build.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Ok so i have a fwd corolla with the 20v motor in it. For those of you that dont know what the motor is,
toyota brought out a 16v twin cam 1.6 motor in the eighties. This motor won numerous races and kicked
arse and won in the touring cars here for about 5 years. They made a 20 valve version of this motor
(well 2 versions, black and silver top) and it was reportedly good for 165bhp out of the box. 5 valves per
cylinder ,variable valve timing and quad throttle bodies standard.

I fell in love with the motor in my teen years, and in my early twenties i bought a half cut and a 1990 corolla
seca and had someone swap all the stuff. The secaa was originally 1.6 carby model,grandma spec from the dealer.
needless to say it went like buggery after the swap and copped many a thrashings under my right foot.

The years went by and it was fun,then got garaged for a couple of years,then i got it running again and gave it to dad.
Mum and dad drove it around for a few more years with all its rattles and noises and it looking worse for wear. Still
started first pop and idled beautifully. Occasianally id take it up to the shops and blow the cobwebs out as dad
babied it all the time and without fail,she'd blow some **** out the back and pull hard to redline in every gear.

Sadly dad passed away and the corolla lived on my mates property for a year and a half, until a few weeks
ago when i brought it home to sell it.Luckily it didnt sell and now i'm using the motor out of the old girl,
putting a hairdryer on it and chucking it in an old corolla,preferably a ke20.

Hoping to run low boost,maybe 8 psi through the stock motor. Hoping for around 200rwhp and a car weighing
about 900kgs or less. Hopefully.

Should be fun.
Below is an old photo of the corolla just after i put the motor in.nearly 10 years ago.

DSC00282.jpg

And below is a crap photo of the engine.

DSC00001.jpg

So, on the weekend i picked up a second hand turbo and inlet manifold off gumtree,the turbo's
from a nissan s15 silvia sr20det. The manifold came with it but isnt usable for what i want.
The turbo also sits underneath the manifold where as i want it on top.

Ive got some steam pipe coming and i'm going to have a crack at making the manifold myself.
Started off by removing the old extractors, i cut the flange off and was going to use it for the
setup but decided against it and went with mild steel 12mm plate.

Traced out some lines and started cutting ****. Still need to take it to work and use the
drill press with the holesaw bit to do the exhaust ports.

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Some of the homebuilt manifolds ive seen looked pretty ordinary with
rough welds,square flanges and not much thought put into them. Hoping to
have a tidier finish.

The aftermarket manifolds are expensive or cheap rubbish and few and far between.
This is why i thought to have a crack and build it myself. Going to have to make
the inlet manifold too but i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Cheers.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Took the flange in to work and cut the holes out with the hand air drill and the holesaw bit. Took a while but got there
in the end. Gave it all a bit of a grind and a sand to tidy it up. When i got home i found the holes where a bit on the piss
so i bolted the flange to the motor,made a bent scribe and marked where the engine ports where and how much i needed to
take off my flange for good flow. I used a die grinder to match the ports.

Picked up my bends from the turbo place and i'm going to need a lot more. I dont know how far
i thought i was going to get with ten of these things. Anyway onto some pics.

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

Thought i'd chuck a pic of my messy workspace. Surprising anything of any quality comes out of here.
Every time i say i'm gonna clean it i start something else and theres crap everywhere again.

IMG_1933.jpg

The merge collector and the straight pipe wont be here till next week but i'm
going to get some more bends and bang on with what i've got for the time being.
Also need to work out how i'm going to route and plumb the wastegate in there.
I'm thinking of having a second merge after the collector and having half go to the
turbo and half to the gate. Have to see how i go for space.

Thanks for looking.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Got my second lot of ten 45degree bends a few bits of straight pipe from the supplier.
chewed through them in no time,ive just ordered ten more. Had a bit more of a play today.
Tacking,checking,cutting the welds off,grinding,tacking again,checking etc etc....

Got as far as i could with the material i had,have to wait till next week for my
next lot of bends and the merge collector pipe.

I'm taking a gamble building this manifold considering i dont have the car yet that the engines
going into but ive been studying photos of this motor in early corollas and taking space
into consideration for the design.

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

I'm also building this manifold to accommodate A/C and P/S. Something i'm going to have to
put into the corolla i buy. I'm thinking of one of the under the glovebox a/c units and retro
fitting a steering box from a hilux or something and using the P/s pump thats already on the motor.
just have to wait and see.

Thanks for looking.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Looking good. Heard a lot of negative things about those motors and getting more power out of them though. Was looking at one day doing what your doing but the general consensus seemed to be stick with the tried and true 4 valve 1.6.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
As far as n/a tuning with them it's hard and expensive to get minimum gains. As much as i love n/a
motors i couldnt argue with the hp figures when theres a hairdryer in the mix. The other problem is
a lot of people do it wrong. Bolting on crap and cheaping out on things like management or fuel system
And reliability often goes out the window.

I'm basically going to get this motor in the car running without the turbo,get it dyno'd for a baseline,then fit
all my fabricated "turbo kit" and take it to the performance shop i found (they only deal with toyotas) for them to get it running.
The ecu is a haltec platinum and the guys at this shop know how to get the most out it.

They even retain the vvt for low rev driving and tune accordingly. It's funny because i'll be doing all the
work myself on the motor/mechanics to save money, then i'm spending 2000k just for the ecu then i'll
have to pay labour on top. Sure i could piggy back the system and just add a couple of injectors but
i want it done right.

Chances are later on down the track i'll be pulling the motor out,getting it rebuilt and winding up the boost.
From what ive seen and been told from that shop 400hp isnt stupid. They did a sprinter and it had 550hp
so the motors can pump out the ponies when theyre built. And Reliably.

For now though she'll just be a low boost turbo but setup to run more in the future,should i want too.
The engines are a solid as a rock,thats what i love about them.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Following
Looks good and will be fun

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Ok, so this project has taken a different direction so i'm not sure whether to post the stuff up here
or start a new thread but the corolla is getting restored.

After watching it deteriorate out the front for a while and being hassled to get rid of it, ive decided
to fix it up as it has a lot of sentimental value to our family.

I will start a new thread in the projects section for anyone interested.

ghostrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98
Following...

Looking good son. keep doing what you do best.

^GhostRider^
im always there its just im not noticed or people choose not to see me for who i really am!