Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60-E Differences (VERY CONFUSED)

vashnavi81

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore Executive
Hey Guys,

Well I Have A 1995 VS Executive With a 7HDD 4L60-E Fitted Im Guessing This Vehicle Has Had A Auto Replacement In The Past as the 7HDD Means From My Research
That That Auto Came From A 1997 VS Hence 7HDD My Car Was Most Likely Fitted With A 5HDD or 6HDD as it was made in nov 95 complienced in 1996 as when i do a vin decode it comes back as a 96 executive.

now my issue is

we recently purchased CHEAP as a parts car a VR with the 4L60-E also Fitted But The Mongrel Has 12 Pins Instead Of 13

My Question Is This

If The Autos Will Bolt Too Either Engine And SOMEWHAT work whats the 13th pin?

if the issue is electronics and im willing too make a ASS out of U and ME lol and guess the 13th pin is too do with the VS Lockup Torque Converter solenoid

here is the point in which im very hazy so forgive me

if all the difference is that one friggin solenoid given the fact they are both physically 4L60-E's am i able too transfer over all the solenoids and wiring etc etc from the 7HDD and essentially turn the VR 4L60-E into a WORKING 7HDD

Regards and i really hope i havent confused you as much as i am LOL

DALE.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
implement answer is that using a 6/7hdd trans is the easiest option if you need to replace it.

The 13th pin controls the pwm tcc solenoid, the vr trans will physically fit but is missing this solenoid, using it will cause the pcm to go into lhm as it won't have this solenoid connected, you could get the pcm reprogrammed to disable this error but it's alot of stuffing around.

A.C.COOKIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 93
Back to the first part Im running a 93 Vr 3.8l v6 with a 5hdd hooked up but its a 93 and is the original box for this car also I have gone through the rigmarol of changing this gearbox twice now and on all occasions of asking around mechanics and car shops and wreckers and the likes all people have told me that it is the normal gearbox to go into my car so I am not to sure how the 4hdd,5hdd,6hdd etc represents the year of manufacture as they would have had to go into the future in order to get a 5hdd for my 93 executive if you know what I mean. Dont get me wrong the only reason I have posted this is in order to try and learn a thing or 2 and if you dont ask you dont know hey.
So if someone could shed some light on this it would be cool

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Wikipedia on the Turbo Hydramatic
The non-PWM (1993-1994) style 4L60Es are not interchangeable with PWM-style (1995 and later) 4L60Es. Also in 1996, GM changed the 3-2 solenoid to a different style which makes it not interchangeable with any previous models.

This kind of makes me sad :(