Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l60e problems

03caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 WK CAPRICE 5.7
Hey guys, new member...
Recently replaced my auto trans as the old one decided to grenade itself, car is a wk caprice 5.7, only mod is an exhaust, the new gearbox (low kay used) I put in is out of an 05 vz ssv. Problem I'm having is now the gearbox flares up a little between changes, and thumps a little into 2nd. Have heard the vz boxes have a different program for the shift points in them and was wondering if that's the problem and will need to get it reflashed for the new box? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Which fluid was used in the new box?

03caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 WK CAPRICE 5.7
New trans filter was fitted and trans was filled with penrite dx-3 fluid. Hoping I haven't bought a dud box, is there a particular fluid that would be a better choice? Gearbox was fitted at work, and we use penrite oil, so it was just what we had there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best to use full syn fluid as it lasts longer. Doubt this will fix your problem though.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
DX3 should be fine. I've tried a few DX6 types and they cause my 4spd to slip.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I use full syn in what ever brand the trans tech put in and no slip. Although not exactly same trans, fairly similar.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I use full syn in what ever brand the trans tech put in and no slip. Although not exactly same trans, fairly similar.
Which one do they use? My favourite is Nulon Full Syn Multi Vehicle, but that's getting hard to find here because Super crap and Ripco are in bed with Penrite, so I also use Penrite FS which seems ok. LV causes slippage :(

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Which one do they use? My favourite is Nylon Full Syn Multi Vehicle, but that's getting hard to find here because Super crap and Ripco are in bed with Penrite, so I also use Penrite FS which seems ok. LV causes slippage :(

Yeah don't know what brand he uses and can't ask him as he doesn't answer his phone at the moment due to being booked out and not taking on new jobs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Spoke to a trans builder when I was rebuilding mine and he reckons synthetic is a waste of money - they weren’t made to use the synthetic oil from factory and when serviced at regular intervals there’s no need.

I’m quite happy to save my money and spend it elsewhere.