Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l60e transmission reverse issue

Maarty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Ecotech V6 Wagon
Here is the deal: I have a 3.8l auto VX wagon.

More than a year ago I had a problem with roughness in the motor which caused the motor to stall while driving about 80kph (quite a few times when rounding corners at low speed). At the time I discovered the electrical connection at the alternator was poor which caused the issue. When it stalled I simply put in neutral, started the engine immediately and put it into drive then applied the accelerator to keep driving without stopping altogether. No jolts or unnatural sounds were to be heard.

So the nasty little fault reared its ugly head again. I am aware that autos should not be towed with the drive wheels on the ground which seems to be the equivalent of what I was doing to get it started. Anyway back to my recent issue is it happened again however this time the shift was inadvertently pushed to the reverse position and back to neutral again before being successfully being started again, engaged and continued driving again as normal.

There noise was heard, suspect from the transmission, to which all seemed ok at the time. We got home, here is the clincher, I needed to put the car in reverse and, guess what, it would not engage.

I have googled, as we do, to find probable faults for reverse not to engage.

To quote from https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/4l60e-no-reverse/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

4L60E No Reverse Causes

Low Reverse Clutch Pack- The most likely part of the 4L60E to have failed in reverse is the low reverse clutch pack. Typically, when any of the clutch packs wear out, they begin to drop debris in the transmission pan. If the pan looks good, and the fluid looks clean, than it’s likely not going to be the low reverse clutch causing the problem.

Valve Body Issues- A bad valve body can make the reverse gear not work in the 4L60E. If the valve body ends up warped, or if the gasket fails, it’s entirely possible that the gear won’t engage.

Booster Valve- A bad booster valve can leave you without reverse in a hurry.

Sun Shell- A broken sun shell will cause the 4L60E to lose reverse. It is known to snap where the splines meet the shell itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering if anyone have any thoughts on my dilemma

Thanks to anyone in forehand

Maarty