Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l65e / 4l60e 3/4 clutchs?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@EYY I wonder if the trans tech did that turn up the valve thing. I was offered this when I had the stally fitted but I declined knowing it's not really a good idea. The trans bloke even admitted he has turned them up too far before. Main reason why I don't use this fella because he is a little bit dodge, IMO.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
If the line pressure is up it changes gears quicker, less slip during change therefore slipping less.

I was thinking of using a diff conditioner to help reduce jerk.

I was under the belief that the car technicaly needs a tune to suite the line pressure, it was a cheap reco and hes been rebuilding them 32 + years , for racing specificaly.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Think I found the issue with my decel!
Recently I serviced the car, and found this chunk missing near the transmission filter input. I cant believe it even runs.
Didnt find any chunks or metal and the pan magnets were gone, fluid had darkened and lost dexterity.
What would cause this missing chunk?
When reco was done if it was like that surely they would have said.
Feels good beside not holding first and the rpm drop when just under 2k -1k and car coasts till speed of 2k rpm where decel kicks back in raising it to 2k , so hold decel rpm 2k+.
Oh well atleast it still running.

Attachments

• IMG20200902142421.jpg
    IMG20200902142421.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 125

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Recently I serviced the car, and found this chunk missing near the transmission filter input. I cant believe it even runs.
Didnt find any chunks or metal and the pan magnets were gone, fluid had darkened and lost dexterity.
Feels good beside not holding first and the rpm drop when just under 2k -1k and car coasts till speed of 2k rpm where decel kicks back in raising it to 2k , so hold decel rpm 2k+.
I believe the passageway should be next to the filter inlet now, mine looks like something chunky passed through prior to the reconditioning.
The decel disengagement about 1800-1900rpm may be that the clutches is from possible one-way clutchs, the auto upshift from 1st isnt instant now ive adjusted the shifter.
Yet to test decel in 1st on a steep decent again. Last time it would pop to 2nd instantly and when braking to slow cause no decel under 1800rpm, it would slam back into 1st then changing back up again, wasnt fun with my neck healing at the time.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
I just spotted a video where I could clearly see the same "hole" in a 4l60e, I now believe that image to be a standard casting, although I could be wrong.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-22-00-44-53-01_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-22-00-44-53-01_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 56

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Side note, this gearbox has failed, No gears select at all, The pump started to get a bit loud whooshing prior, it nearly made its second service.
2nd hand box on stand by.