Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l65e / 4l60e 3/4 clutchs?

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Long time learner first time poster.

So my question is.. if i can feel the decel of 3rd and 4th but have no forward motion in them gears is it burnt clutchs or possibly somthing else such as line pressure or a solinoid?
Car is vz crewman l98 auto.

I havent looked under the car yet as my hiace blew up the same day and is more important.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
On decel the over run clutches are applied, first check for fault codes for a shift solenoid code, second unplug big plug on driver's side of transmission this gives you limp mode third gear starts and manual second, most common cause is a burnt out 3/4 pack.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Thanks mate legendary,
ill get stuck into it.

Does it use differnt clutchs for decel?
I though it woulda used the same clutchs

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Pretty sure the overun clutches are only used when locked in lower gears on the stick not when in 4th.you could have a busted sprag only one

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Hmmm, interesting.
Thanks for that.
It will be the first auto i pull the guts from but im usualy on fark up repairs , so shouldnt be to much of a head fark, well not compared the custom loom in me skidline that shits full hacked.

Just quickly i lost 3/4 after a 3rd to 4th change near redline, still was pulling in 4th then i backed off let the speed go down and then it just kept goin down. I was worried i was gonna be stuck but good ol 2nd kept me moving.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Incase others need to see a sprag and hd sprag comparrison.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
So i unpluged the big plug then realised the car wont start like that, so pluged it in started it and then unpluged it (large plug passenger side of ss). I still had 1st 2nd and reverse and it changed 1st to 2nd fine hit 3rd and just reved till it dropped back to 2nd. The gear indicator in the dash remained in park the whole time, did i unplug the correct plug? , it is a m32 on l98.
I also stall tested when in drive and it was trying to push( im guessing it auto selected 2nd), i pulled it down to firs and it started lighten up the tyres fine, reverse was the same started lighten up again but gives a bit of a clunk at first.
Front seal or sump is leaking a bit but fluid level is ok, smells burnt . Guess its rebuild time, anyone got an estimate when DIY, id hate to spend the same as just getting another rebuilt m32 .
Thanks peace out ✌

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Oh yeah, there was no codes but post o2 sensor.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Sorry mate I misread your post delcowizzid is spot on with what's wrong its a failed sprag, the plug you unplugged was the wrong one it's on the right hand side, you don't need to do that now because you have no movement in drive, but you have manual first and second so it's a failed sprag, as for cost hard to say without seeing in side.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bloke i used to use charges around 1500 for a full rebuild on a 4l60e. That doesn't include remove and install or converter rebuild.