Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4sp auto trans mated to ls1 enquiry

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the topic.

Cruising in "D" at low speed - maybe 60/70 light throttle ...start going up a small hill, auto feels like it shifts down slightly (revs increase) but then if I put the selector into "3" the revs go up even more - so it's like it wasn't in gear 3 or 4??? Mate was saying a solenoid may not be allowing as much fluid pressure to engage gear 4 (allowing of some slip) so that the engine is working more efficiently? Can anyone comment on this/ know what i'm talking about?

Also, when the gear selector is in 3 rather than D, the gear shifts are quite clunky ie on heavy acceleration and then letting off throttle it wants to go to fourth gear but then realises it can't and clunks into third.. normal?

Maybe my gearbox is getting abit long in the tooth? 180k kms. fluid and filter changed 20k km ago.

H

harrop.senator

Sounds like od coming off and converter flashing to me.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Just sounds like the torque converter unlocking. After auto moves into 4th, at a certain speed and load the torque convertor locks up, and the revs drop slightly, under certain conditions if the load increases the converter will unlock and revs will increase a bit, the auto is still in 4th but the converter becomes unlocked, if you then shift auto into 3rd the revs increase quite a lot.

Last edited: