Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4WDing

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Went for a run on Saturday. This modifying business is tedious lol. More modifications. Broke both transmission mounts again on a particularly nasty hill climb. Going to run a bolt right through them so they can't come apart but they still have flex.

Also, I think I may have damaged the viscous coupling in the transfer case as it makes a loud bang every now and then accelerating from a stand still. Drove it home with the front hubs in as it's a constant 4WD anyway so I thought that having the hubs in will be better than having them unlocked and the transfer case trying to drive the front when it isn't engaged. This only set off a vibration through the driveline, it got wosre after one of the bangs, so I may have stuffed the viscous coupling after I did the trailing arm and tail shaft last time.

Good thing I have a spare transfer case out of the other car, going to throw that in while I get the 3.9L ready to go in. Pulled it out of the other car yesterday, needs a good clean up and some gaskets replaced. I have also found an LT230 transfer out of a Discovery, these have a manual centre diff lock and are gear driven as opposed to a chain driven Borg Warner viscous centre diff in the Rangie. A lot stronger and positive drive to both axles rather than being reactive like it is now. I am going to bolt that to the new engine before I put it in.

SV6 Matt

The Recov Cruiser
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Toyota 105 series Landcruiser
Went to go for a adventure around West Wallsend on Sunday in my 105, and my brother in his 75 series cruiser.
On the way, i seen a track just of the main road, that i always drove past in my old Sv6 and wished i could do one day, so we pulled off the road and started heading up the new trail. About 50m up, was a 2-3 foot step, with tyre rute either side of a massive rock in the centre of the step, i went first and crawled up it no worries.
My brother on the other hand, has a heavy right foot, after trying a good 6-10 times at smashing at it, getting his front tyres up but hitting his arse end he got up. the other 150m of trail was easy going, but when we got to the top he noticed a weird sound.
Got underneath his truck to see he had smashed his rear tailshaft, and twisted it (must of been from using rear lockers)..
So he had to do a roadside repair and take out his rear shaft and crawl 2 hours back home in front wheel drive haha. Missed out going to the track we had planned, but got a good laugh, and he learnt how to do $500 damage in 5 minutes lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sourced an LT230, but not the one I was originally looking at, this other one was half the price. Had to find the linkages and shifter as they are different to the originals. Also had to find a shorter front shaft.

Had it up on stands last night and running, the hand brake drum has about 2mm of run out, so I think I bent the rear output shaft on the transfer case. The vibration is coming from a bent front shaft, when the engine mounts and trans mounts went, it dropped the front shaft onto the cross member and bent it.

I have the engine and trans out of the other car now as well, so it won't be long before the Rangie is running a nice 3.9L.

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
going for a bash this weekend in the vic high country around aberfeldy, should be good but cold.... will post some pics (if i remember to take some) and a story on sunday arvo/monday arvo

SV6 Matt

The Recov Cruiser
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Toyota 105 series Landcruiser
Did anyone get out and do much wheeling over the long weekend?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Nice rig. Good flex going on there.

Here's one from Sunday. Every other car had a wheel up, mine just ate the rut lol.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Went for a trip up through the High Country on the weekend. Just around the Jamieson area and through to Woods Point.

Didnt get many pics of my car though. One of the boys brought his twin locked, 351c GQ along. Made Brewery Track look easy. The 3 cars that tried it previous to him all got about 1/3 of the way and then had to winch the rest.

and on the way back down

Last edited by a moderator:

Growler71

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Nice rig. Good flex going on there.

Here's one from Sunday. Every other car had a wheel up, mine just ate the rut lol.

I gotta fit extended bump stops and get her flexin properly. Looks like yours is well sorted