Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4x4 Vehicle - Diesel Vs Unleaded

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Been thinking about buying a used 4x4 vehicle for some bush trekking.
I've never owned a 4x4 so have no experience with them.

I have heard by various people in the past that the diesel engine is the way to go because they are more reliable/robust engines compared to unleaded fuel engines.

Any thoughts by folks here who own or experienced with 4x4's?
Also any models/brands to steer clear of?
I'd be looking at something around the 8-10 year age

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would say Diesel as long as it has been maintained properly. A good diesel will save you loads in fuel costs. But either way you should do all the checks you can about the model you want to check which engine is most reliable.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
get a diesel petrol will cost too much to run and when your miles away from anywhere the diesel gets 1500k's out of its tanks where the petrol gets around a 900k's and you cant get gas lots of places you might want to 4 wheel drive

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
Don't buy a 60/80 series that has an aftermarket turbo system fitted. They use a precombustion chamber that doesn't take kindly to high boost, and you'll be stranded when they crack. Old diesels needed an oil change every 5,000km. My old 80 series diesel would use 14L/100 whether I was on or off road, towing, etc. My petrol on the other hand, figures would skyrocket in the loose stuff or pulling a van. Modern diesels are a different kettle of fish though. Sat behind a Hyundai Santa Fe pulling a caravan the other day, the thing pulled harder than a teenage schoolboy, overtook everything in sight. Just make sure you look at as many honest reviews as you can for whatever model you're keen on. There always be a fanboy for each model who says his car gets 4L/100km and never breaks down and beats porsches at the lights and made melbourne to sydney on half a tank, just as there will always be someone who says they're the worst car on the planet.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Newer generation diesels are quite good on fuel and give great driveability. However, I'd ONLY consider a common rail diesel if my ownership were to be solely within the warranty period. The cost of injectors, pumps, turbos, DPF's, common rail, suction control valves etc is incredibly expensive. They're pushing ridiculous power and torque figures from very small engines these days - cramming boost into them works, but I'm not sure how the most recent models will fare over the next decade or so in terms of longevity/reliability.

If I were to purchase an older model, it would have to be petrol UNLESS it was pre common rail. Oil is more expensive as is general servicing where a DPF is involved. They're VERY sensitive to moisture and any contaminants in the fuel.

There's a good reason Toyota models with the 1HDFT and 1HDFTE are still 30K+ and nearing 20 years old. Despite recent emission issues with the 2.8L Toyotas, I wouldn't consider any other brand. Just bear in mind that Navara's and Triton's are cheap for a reason - again, i'd have one but only within warranty period. You'll pay more for a Toyota, but resale is also far greater.

What are you chasing? A wagon or ute?

Personally I'd look into a 4L Petrol Prado. They're an awesome thing to drive with the 5 speed auto and full time 4wd. Very comfortable and the V6 is incredibly reliable - not much goes wrong with them.

Last edited:

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Will need to do a bit of research, thanks for the replies.
Looks like I'll need to lower my expectations on vehicle age/mileage, had a browse on carsales website, ain't nuthin in the 8-10 year age in my price range :confused:
Not looking for luxury though, just something I can get dirty out bush and not worry about the occasional little scratch or ding
A dual cab with a removable hardtop tray canopy would be handy, though a standard cab with tray back would do the job.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Don't buy a 60/80 series that has an aftermarket turbo system fitted. They use a precombustion chamber that doesn't take kindly to high boost, and you'll be stranded when they crack. .
Dont run high boost through them then :p 11 PSI is plenty.

What sort of offroad trekking are you looking at doing? Another consideration to make, which is likely to be determined by your age limit for the vehicle is suspension type. And costs associated with possible future modifications you intend to do.