Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0 VR Statesman

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman, 333 stroker
Great. Thanks for all the info! I'll be getting on to the guys that built the motor tomorrow to find out exactly what is in it, he seemed more than happy to help but was short for time today. I took it for a run with the original memcal back in it, the most noticeable difference is that it definitely starts to pull allot harder around 3250rpm through than with the eBay chip. Gear changes are notably different in economy but not so in pwr. Also the fuel consumption has dropped back down to 9.5L/100 as opposed to 12.5L/100 with the eBay chip, so I'm assuming it was dumping a crap load of fuel in and running inefficiently? The other noticeable difference is engine temp, down to around 1/3rd on the gauge where it was running around 1/2. Make any sense? I'll take a look at the face book page, thanks heaps guys :)
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
That's generally all the eBay chips do, dump a whole lot of fuel. Although that's about all my crow memcal did as well lol. Joe's awesome, he's great for any info too ;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If your unsure about the tune, get to your local Dyno and ask for a Power run with Air/fuel read out to see where it is at.
If it is good at WOT, then you can assume that it has a proper and well done tune in it. If not, you know that you can improve with a proper tune up.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Great. Thanks for all the info! I'll be getting on to the guys that built the motor tomorrow to find out exactly what is in it, he seemed more than happy to help but was short for time today. I took it for a run with the original memcal back in it, the most noticeable difference is that it definitely starts to pull allot harder around 3250rpm through than with the eBay chip. Gear changes are notably different in economy but not so in pwr. Also the fuel consumption has dropped back down to 9.5L/100 as opposed to 12.5L/100 with the eBay chip, so I'm assuming it was dumping a crap load of fuel in and running inefficiently? The other noticeable difference is engine temp, down to around 1/3rd on the gauge where it was running around 1/2. Make any sense? I'll take a look at the face book page, thanks heaps guys :)
Cheers, Chris

Makes perfect sense, the ebay chip would have been dumping loads and loads of fuel into the engine and also your timing would have been way out which would explain the temp issue as well. (on a worked motor like that a stock tune would have no idea what it's doing)

I had an ebay chip years ago in my "stupidity" era, leaned out the motor and also advanced the timing too far, every time I put my foot down I would get pinging/rattling.....almost grenaded my motor.

I would say if it's pulling hard at 3k RPM then it's doing its job and it has a cam that gets its peak performance at mid - high RPM, I think your pretty safe with your current one.

As Deuce said, maybe its worth spending the $50-80 on a dyno run to make sure its all good, then you can put your mind at ease.

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I'll take it for a run on the dyno this break and see what it's doing, more for peace of mind than anything else. I'll post up the results. Thanks again.
Cheers, Chris

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, it's developed an issue, hoping someone can shed some light on it.
In the morning the car runs fine, no issues. Once the day heats up though it's a different story. If I walk out and start it at lunch time, the engine light comes on and a few things go wrong;
It idled high
The a/c won't work
The Speedo won't work
The car is stuck in 3rd (can manually select 2nd, no first and no O/D)
As soon as the day cools off again you can start it and drive as normal??
I've tried pulling codes, but it won't work with the engine light on and when the air temp is cool and there is no engine light it flashes a 12. Please help!
Cheers, Chris

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quick update. It just thunder stormed and the temp probably dropped around 5 degrees so I popped out and started it. No engine light and running as normal. Pulled the codes, showing only 12, nothing else stored? Also forgot to mention if I start it in the morning it won't play up when it gets warmer, unless I shut it down and re start it, but only if it's a warm day and it's been sitting in the sun. Makes me think it's one of the senders, possibly the coolant temp sender?
Cheers, Chris

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Quick update. It just thunder stormed and the temp probably dropped around 5 degrees so I popped out and started it. No engine light and running as normal. Pulled the codes, showing only 12, nothing else stored? Also forgot to mention if I start it in the morning it won't play up when it gets warmer, unless I shut it down and re start it, but only if it's a warm day and it's been sitting in the sun. Makes me think it's one of the senders, possibly the coolant temp sender?
Cheers, Chris

Did you leave it diagnostic mode for a while when you checked the codes.....if flashses code 12 for around 15 seconds or so before it starts doing the fault codes.

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I let it run through, counted 9 lots of code 12 and gave up. Should flash 3 lots of 12 then start throwing faults?
Cheers, Chris

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah, I let it run through, counted 9 lots of code 12 and gave up. Should flash 3 lots of 12 then start throwing faults?
Cheers, Chris

yeah, thats right.

hmmm, could be coolant temp sensor, would make sence that it would do it when its hot then.