Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0 VR Statesman

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman, 333 stroker
yeah, thats right.

hmmm, could be coolant temp sensor, would make sence that it would do it when its hot then.

Yeah, but it should throw a code shouldn't it? And it's only when it's a hot day, the car can be stone cold on its first start at lunch but if it's a hot day it plays up. Morning and late afternoon when it's cooler its not an issue, and doesn't happen at all on cooler days lol
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah, but it should throw a code shouldn't it?

Not always....I have had plenty of issues with the VR/VS's over the years with sensors crapping it and not throwing a code.

It's an odd problem I'm not sure what would cause a stone cold motor to play up from the ambient temp being a little warmer

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's an odd problem I'm not sure what would cause a stone cold motor to play up from the ambient temp being a little warmer

Haha, your telling me! I'll try parking in the shade tomorrow, but it's not a permanent fix. I guess if I can't sort it by winter I'll have until next summer to sort it :)

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 4

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha, figured it out. I drove it home from work this morning (7am) no issues. Even shut it down and re started at the 40km mark to ensure it wasn't engine heat causing the issue. I started it this after noon (38' day) and it started in limp mode. I opened the bonnet and put the sprinkler on it for 1/2 hour, getting the ambient temp down to 24', no change. So I started thinking the inside of the car is like a sauna still. I pulled the hot to touch Ecu out, and placed it in the fridge for 15 min. Plugged it back in, bingo!!! No engine light! I've tried disconnecting it before and it made no difference, but cooling it down did the trick. I'm now assuming I'm up for a new ecu?
cheers, Chris

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I fitted a new ecu that I got for a bargain $29 (no memcal) off eBay and the problem is sorted :) I haven't had time to do much else. Still can't decide on rims, though I know I'm definitely going aftermarket as the factory rims I like (sigs, internationals etc.) are either too hard to find or to pricy for what they are. In the mean time I've painted the wheels on it silver. I'm also starting to look for a boot that didn't have a spoiler on it and will be buying a new front bar. I ran the springs past Kings and found it has super lows front and rear, so I think my next mod will be a set of ssl for the rear to get it sitting level, what do you think?
Cheers, Chris ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389731512.321487.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1389731530.603345.jpg

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can also get a lip spoiler on the boot for these. Doesn't stand out as much as the spoiler like you have now does but just gives it a bit of a different look, I like them anyways and would look good on your car IMO. I've thought many times of putting 1 on my VR SS

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...e-1993-1997/126619-vr-statesman-boot-lip.html

Thanks mate, they look good. I found them on eBay for $165. Not sure whether to find a new boot or weld up the holes and re-paint this one?
Cheers, Chris

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
If you can find 1 in the same colour as yours with no spoiler and then fit the boot lip, I reckon that would be the cheapest way to go. Depends on how much you pay for a boot and then compare to having current boot holes filled, lip fitted and then repainted

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I've done a few small things, mostly mechanical but I've also popped some new (to me :) ) rims on and I got rid of the rear wing. Next up I'll be replacing the front bar and putting ssl's in the rear to get it sitting a little lower in the back. It rides heaps better on the 16's, not sure on the red wall inserts, will probably swap them out for white wall inserts.
Cheers, Chris
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391076375.053706.jpg

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So I've done a few small things, mostly mechanical but I've also popped some new (to me :) ) rims on and I got rid of the rear wing. Next up I'll be replacing the front bar and putting ssl's in the rear to get it sitting a little lower in the back. It rides heaps better on the 16's, not sure on the red wall inserts, will probably swap them out for white wall inserts.
Cheers, Chris
View attachment 169696

VS Calais wheels are awesome, I have them on mine, gotta get them polished man, they will look even better! (check out my stato's thread)

and yeah I went back to 16's as riding on country roads the 18's were too harsh.

Walls look good too, I am thinking of a thick white wall for mine.

Keep up the good work!