Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0 vt commodore wont start

jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS
I went to start my 5lt vt commodore today and when I turned the key it just made a clicking noise and the motor wouldnt make any noises at all. All the interior/exterior lights, CD player etc were working and the battery is fantastic, all the fuses are fine,

I roll started it (its manual) and it worked perfectly, left it running for a while then turned it off. When I went to start it again I had the exact same problem again. Any ideas what it may be? thanks.

Mikepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx2 Calais 5.7
If the battery is good like you say it could be the starter motor

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Why do you say the battery is fantastic? Have you had it tested or is it a recent purchase?

jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS
its a brand new battery, i tested it and it was fully charged. when i turn the key i can hear one single click noise coming from the engine bay

ewt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon, VZ Berlina, MX73 Cressida, KE36 Corolla.
It's either the Starter Motor, or the Alternator. If not those, then the Earth Straps?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try to start it using some jumper leads. You need to test the voltage of the battery when it is under load (in your case when you turn the ignition to start). Also check the wiring from the starter motor to the battery. Have you made sure that the clamps on your battery are nice and tight. Some batteries have smaller terminals which don't allow your clamps to tighten properly.