Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0l efi to carby

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
How much has to be modified from a VR loom?

I've done a transplant from one VR to another before and the loom is fairly basic.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
VR onwards is a bit more involved actually. You need to have the theft deterrent removed from the MEMCAL, they also have a hall effect pickup for the speed sensor which can be a bit painful to get around. VN-VP is the go for conversions, no 2 ways about it.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I was going to say that.
VN is about as basic as you ever want to get. I wasn't too sure the difference between the VN and VR though. It doesn't look a great deal difference.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
whats the go with the extra fuel line???? is one a supply and the other a return line?...as soop said what mods does the loom need?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
whats the go with the extra fuel line???? is one a supply and the other a return line?...as soop said what mods does the loom need?

Yep, that's correct. You can use your original line for feed and put another in for the return line, but i forgot you will actually need 3 lines. The third line will be for the charcoal canister vapour line. If you use a VN tank (or VL EFI) it will have all the outlets required.

Can't tell you exactly whats required on a VR loom as i've only ever modded/bought VN conversion looms.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
In Victoria you must have the emissions to suit the relevant adr of the date of manufacture vehicle or engine (whichever is later). Therefore in theory you are required to make the car comply with whatever was required with the VR as the engine block casting date is what is deemed to be date of engine manufacture. I'm reasonably sure QLD has similar laws.

Reaper

this is also the case in Qld
refer to the Qld light vehicle code of practice page 5 'Exhaust emissions general'
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/b...1ba/codeofpracticelightvehiclesreductions.pdf

it states:
all of the emission control equipment originally fitted to the replacement engine must be fitted and operational. An appropriate catalytic converter must be fitted in the vehicles exhaust system if the engine was originally designed to operate with one.

to the OP
the engine will be identified by the engine number which of course will be a VR engine number. Therefore ALL the VR emissions control equipment must be fitted. As the EFI system is an integral component of the emissions system, it would also need to be fitted.

99% of the time people will get away with it. Generally the people working at the customer service centres wouldn't know a V8 from a V6. But if you get a curious police or Qld Transport officer that pulls up the vehicle and runs the engine number, then you could end up with a defect notice and possibly an infringement notice.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If your real keen on the carby look, then getting a Torque Power dual plane manifold and 1000cfm throttle body for the look but maintaining the EFI for legal reasons

VR onwards is a bit more involved actually. You need to have the theft deterrent removed from the MEMCAL, they also have a hall effect pickup for the speed sensor which can be a bit painful to get around. VN-VP is the go for conversions, no 2 ways about it.

if he used a VR trans then the speed pick up shouldn't be a issue?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
if he used a VR trans then the speed pick up shouldn't be a issue?

Not in regards to the ECU reading the signal no. But then you open up a whole other can of worms getting the cable speedo to work, as the VR onwards autos have no mechanical speedo output. Pain in the arse.

I still say that for conversions, VN-VP is the go. Both in regards to the engine electrics & the auto.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

if you have a VR harness, you can plug it straight into a VN-VP 808 ECU, which avoids the VATS and BCM problems associated with VR/VS ECU's/PCMs
I've got a VR harness on the VH which I originally had running an 808 (now have a Kalmaker SP3, which is basically a programmable 808). A few of the wire colours are different to the VN-VP harness, but basically it's the same. Like the VN-VP harness, you need to pick up a few battery, ignition wires and earths, plus the speed sensor wires of course.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
any issues with having a turbo 350 box behind it????.......when it comes to efi...some of the sh#t is just over my head!
i need to get knowledge asap coz i dont wana take it to the mech and have him rippin me off on labour cost and whatever else