Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0l efi to carby

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
hi all
just a couple of concerns with legal issues and roadworthy....
i have an engine from a VR calais v8...im wanting to remove all
fuel injection and run it with a carby set up and drop it into my VH SLE
how would this go with all the regulations in QLD? as im about to get all the parts
needed for the conversion!.....are these engines a 308 or 304 ci" as so many people
are telling me one then others say another??? this is the dudes in the wrecking yards im talking about!:hmmm:

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Anything fuel injected is a 304.
Into the SLE, It SHOULD be legal. The only hiccup I can see is that perhaps the engine number being from a VR they might ask some questions. But the SLE came from the factory with an injected 308, which is identicle aside from the crank. (Well the heads are different but never mind that)

I reckon you should be right though.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
No go mate. Unless you run the original quadrajet with all the emissions gear hooked up (which won't all be operative with injected heads and manifold anyway), it won't be legal. Holley=not a chance as they are a non pollution type carburettor i.e. will not comply with ADR 27a. Even more of a no no, if you're using an injected engine with a carby on it. The only way around it is to keep the injection and get it registered like that.

As soop said, all EFI 5 litres are 304 cubes.

Soop, what VH SLE came with an injected 308 from the factory?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
No no, I simply meant that they had a 308 from the factory.

If you're sly and just try to register it as a normal 308, you MIGHT get away with it.
I've helped put VN 308's in to woody's before and not had an issue with the RTA. It depends on how strict the inspector is I guess.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
You might get away with it, but pretty doubtful. As soon as they lift the bonnet and see a Holley, they'll can it (unless you have a pretty dumbshit inspector) and as you said the engine number is going to raise alarm bells anyway. Then if you do get it past rego, the EPA or Police can dick you pretty badly on the road anyway.

Inject and forget IMO :p

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
In Victoria you must have the emissions to suit the relevant adr of the date of manufacture vehicle or engine (whichever is later). Therefore in theory you are required to make the car comply with whatever was required with the VR as the engine block casting date is what is deemed to be date of engine manufacture. I'm reasonably sure QLD has similar laws.

Reaper

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
hmm strange! ive had other blokes (from this forum) tell me it should be all sweet! The car was originally a 253...and i put the now 308 into it...when it came time to register it at main roads they didnt even look at the car all they wanted to see (on paper) was a safety certificate and a VIN#......paid the coin for rego, got the plates and walked out the door....nothing about engine numbers or anything like that! as for on the road issues as u can see my profile pic....performer manifold, 2inch riser, 650 mechDP, and the air cleaner out the top...driven past many a cop and never had a issue!
whats the go with the holleys??????
what about the heads???? dont people get efi heads and pet them on an old school 308 and run em with holleys?
im kinda disapointed at the moment....just bought the bloody thing!
i dont want to got through all the drama of running efi, computers ect

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm strange! ive had other blokes (from this forum) tell me it should be all sweet! The car was originally a 253...and i put the now 308 into it...when it came time to register it at main roads they didnt even look at the car all they wanted to see (on paper) was a safety certificate and a VIN#......paid the coin for rego, got the plates and walked out the door....nothing about engine numbers or anything like that! as for on the road issues as u can see my profile pic....performer manifold, 2inch riser, 650 mechDP, and the air cleaner out the top...driven past many a cop and never had a issue!
whats the go with the holleys??????
what about the heads???? dont people get efi heads and pet them on an old school 308 and run em with holleys?
im kinda disapointed at the moment....just bought the bloody thing!
i dont want to got through all the drama of running efi, computers ect

Yes, people do it all the time, doesn't make it legal though....:p You will find most people wing it and run the gauntlet, but if they get caught it's a pretty big deal to get it all legal again.

Holleys are not legal on any car that was manufactured after July 1976, that's when ADR 27a (pollution regs) were introduced. Which obviously makes a VR engine illegal with a Holley on it.

By all means, if you want to do it, go right ahead, but you asked if it will be legal. Which it won't be.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
so i ve been thinking of the injection setup! what would be required to get all riged up...wiring loom, ecu what else? the engine is complete top to bottom bar a starter mtr!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
You will need everything that makes it run in a Later Commodore.

Motor, ecu, loom, ignition module, all sensors etc. etc.

The loom is really the only thing that will need to be modified and you will need a later model Commodore fuel tank with the EFI pump/s in it and an extra fuel line.

Really, it's not a big deal at all to set-up and will make it all perfectly legal aslong as you run it as it came from the donor car.