Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0L into a VX SS replacing the LS

Tones82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L & VS UTE 355 5SPD
Hi all just seeking some
Clarification, I have a brand new built 355 from Pavtek that I’ve tweaked a little along with a built T350 from a previous build that got canned due to personal reasons. Can I swap this into a VX SS and replace the LS? Basic setup listed below

Pavtech built 355
Harrop Hi rise
FAST quad throttle body
Haltech ECU
MSD ignition system
Upgraded fuel system - injectors, Holley Billet pumps x2

Vortech V1 T-Trim upgraded centrifugal blower
Intercooler

Built T350
Spec’ed and built by Neil @ Precise Automatics

PWR cooling system, twin thermos with custom sealed shroud

Surge tank

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Not if you plan on driving it on the road legally.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Since the Holden engine was never an option for the VX you would need to get an engineer's certificate, which will probably cost better than a grand, and that's only if you could pass the emissions test, which I highly doubt you would with that setup?

Probably not what you want to hear but I'd say your best option may be to sell what you have and put the money you get plus the money you'd save into the LS1?

Way less hassles!

Andrew

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It’s not going to be legal whichever car you put it in, so if it doesn’t bother you go ahead with it. Just need a vt s1 k frame and you’ll need to sort the wiring out on the body loom side so that the Bcm/dash gets the info it needs and can control what it needs to control.

Probably better off looking into an older Holden to put it in though in terms of hassle and cost

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I want a VU SS with a 5.0 for a daily purely for sound and the VU looks but the law doesn't agree with me. :(

Tones82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Since the Holden engine was never an option for the VX you would need to get an engineer's certificate, which will probably cost better than a grand, and that's only if you could pass the emissions test, which I highly doubt you would with that setup?

Probably not what you want to hear but I'd say your best option may be to sell what you have and put the money you get plus the money you'd save into the LS1?

Way less hassles!

Andrew
Because I’ve got this setup already mate and not going to lose money selling it. Also not interested in LS, I love the Aussie 5.0L. Would’ve preferred something more compatible over the VX SS but circumstances aren’t right and the VX is the only option at the moment. If it won’t work I’ll just keep the setup on the shelf for a bit longer.

Tones82

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s not going to be legal whichever car you put it in, so if it doesn’t bother you go ahead with it. Just need a vt s1 k frame and you’ll need to sort the wiring out on the body loom side so that the Bcm/dash gets the info it needs and can control what it needs to control.

Probably better off looking into an older Holden to put it in though in terms of hassle and cost

Why won’t it be legal regardless what car? Have seen many setups getting around running similar with rego.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Because it’ll never meet emissions requirements and the physical fitment will require certification because of crossmember and tailshaft modifications etc.

Remove the hirise and fit a banana manifold without the charger and you might pass inspection in vn-vs. No clear cut answers though - all depends on who does the roadworthy cert and whether the traffic authority needs to see it.

Just because somethings registered doesn’t mean it’s legally allowed to be.