Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0lt Calais fuel tank

Nigel Stevenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 5.0
Hi everyone I’m new to this forum and looking for advice to rebuild my Calais.
I have a VK Calais 5 litre and the fuel tank was leaking like a bastard so I got rid of it and I’ve bought a secondhand six cylinder tank can I use that in my V8 or will I need to replace anything.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Look at sender units & fuel pickups then compare outside of tanks.

sle/calais/brock supposedly have larger fuel lines,extra line for cannister...fuel sender with extra plug for 'low fuel' light

Different models have several different features...later efi models have bolt in sender units,earlier ones have o ring with twist in retainer...depends on model car tank came from.

So compare what you have or post a few pics up here to get better answer...but yeah one way or another can be made to work or improved.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hi everyone I’m new to this forum and looking for advice to rebuild my Calais.
I have a VK Calais 5 litre and the fuel tank was leaking like a bastard so I got rid of it and I’ve bought a secondhand six cylinder tank can I use that in my V8 or will I need to replace anything.
I second what gtrboyy posted, there are a few differences with the VK model between the efi and carby cars as the vk was stuck in the change to efi.

Depends what tank you bought 2nd hand and what car it came out of ?????

Vk v8 tanks would be hard to find. From memory vk v8 had 1 intank electric fuel pump with the twist retainer sender unit with 2 pipes on the sender unit, one for fuel 2 motor and the other as the fuel return line from motor, plus you also have the 3rd line that came from the carbon canister and vented into top tank/filler mechanism.

Also the v8 electric pump is not as high pressure as the vk efi engine.