Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.3L Lm7 conversion queries

logan binns

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS Statesman L67
Hey. Im wondering if anyone can tell me whats involved in a swap from a blowen up ls1 engine in a vx, to a lm7 5.3l engine as i would like to turbo it in the future. Wanting to know if its a straight forward swap and if the ls1 ecu would run the 5.3 once retuned.thanks for your help.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Most people here probably won't be able to help as these engines never came out in Australia (can't speak for NZ). I'd suspect it would be pretty straight forward and that you could use an LS ECU given they're from the same family and generation, probably worth trying to track down info about what kind of method they use to get their crank angle signal. There's a chance they use different sensors because they weren't used by Holden, in which case that would be a custom loom at the minimum. You'd also probably have to get an engine with all the ancillaries as they look like they mount differently to the LS1.

What makes you think this engine would be better to turbo than a LS1 though?

logan binns

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VS Statesman L67
Most people here probably won't be able to help as these engines never came out in Australia (can't speak for NZ). I'd suspect it would be pretty straight forward and that you could use an LS ECU given they're from the same family and generation, probably worth trying to track down info about what kind of method they use to get their crank angle signal. There's a chance they use different sensors because they weren't used by Holden, in which case that would be a custom loom at the minimum. You'd also probably have to get an engine with all the ancillaries as they look like they mount differently to the LS1.

What makes you think this engine would be better to turbo than a LS1 though?

Hey thanks for your reply, in nz we havent got alot of these engines either. Thanks for the info about the c.a.s will look into it. The reason i would like the lm7 is due to the iron block and the unreal power being made in america with these engines with a standard bottom end over 1000hp in some cases. As long as they have 160 thou miles or more they hold together well from my research. They are very cheap in america and even imported here they are cheaper than our ls1's. But as you can imagine trying to find out info on swaps into holdens is difficult. Just trying to see what im in for.

thornsmith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz storm
Hey mate I’ve just bought one (5.3 vortec lm7) with the loom and ecu
I have a v6 eco turbo .. blew the heads , gone to go ls and then found the iron lm7 .. got one in Sydney malex motorsports 2950 $
Now to find a tr6060 my mate has said but I don’t see why I can’t just run the t56?? To much drama finding a tr6060 near me and I think there is abit more work to get it to fit ?? .. we are putting the turbo setup on the lm7 exhaust is already fabbed up and ready just waiting to strip this motor before we start.. also what loom would run with this engine I’ve been told the haltec 2500 will work