Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.7 VX Auto Gearbox Service

aussie_drew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Just about to do a service on gearbox. Anything I should look out for. Never done one on a auto

When I back off the throttle it is not keeping it the rpm that it should. RPM drops down and comes back up and down and up.

I notice it alot when rolling down a hill. Have filter kit and new tranny oil. Hope this will fix problem.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
easy as if you`ve done say 5 oil changes (thou fu#kin messy if you spill) just loosen off the rear bolts to 3/4 out and the mid to front 1/2 out(if jacked at the front) and let the fluid run out into a oil pan/tray then after a while loosing em off a little more @ the front and remove the rear ones, (tip 1) move a trolly jack under it so its just under it and take it off deal with any sticky cork gasket and its off lower it down while holding it and then move it out and try not to spill any, don`t replace the little rubber seal thing on the filter spout if it does not come out with the filter is my other tip.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I agree 100% with the above service proceedure except for the replacement of the filter seal.If it doesnt come out of the filter locating hole along with the old filter,its best to take your time,get a good light under the car and gently remove the old seal with a small screwdriver or similar.The auto trans filter seals on the VN-VS have a metal collar around the seal,yours might be the same,just look at the new seal that comes with the filter to get an idea of what it looks like.I just gently collapse this metal collar inwards with a screwdriver,which makes it easy to get it out of the filter locating hole if it ever gets stuck up in there.You can leave them there and reuse them again as under8ated said,but they go hard over time, and this can cause the filter to actually fall out of the locating hole in the transmission which can then cause all sorts of problems.