Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.7ltr SS - premium unleaded v unleaded???

Dr.304

SuperCharged StatesMan
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Statesman Supercharged
I will not be using anything more then 95 octane when i feel like it.
Other than that 91 octane here i come!!

Ive owned too many cars where 98 octane is a must!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i Run 98 75% of the time, usually switch it up every 3rd time and use normal unleaded.. seems to get more mileage out of the normal and premium tanks when i do it.

ive been doin exactly this and 2 my supprise ive been gettin more mileage out of normal unleaded aswell. only noticed this over the last few months tho wen i decided 2 try 91 4 a change.

blow thru

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 2 SS
You want to run through a couple of tanks of 98 to benifit from the higher octane as the pcm will relearn itself to adjust.As for goin from 91-98 in price difference just forget the bottle of coke an mars bar an then its the same price. win win situation

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Really depends on the car, for all the V8's i've owned, i've always ran 98 ( or 95 in extreme cases when 98 was not available ) but with all my 4 or 6's never bothered with it because they were runabouts anyway.

QWKLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0L, 20s, GTS Interior
you wont notice the difference. i never did b4 and after tune in my old rig haha.
but when u get ur car tuned stick to the same fuel they used at the time

kieran.87

Reaction score
i run 98ron and every second tank or every tank if i can afford it i put in a octane booster.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Burning anything higher than 91RON in a standard LS1 is simply a waste of money. Unless you're tuning to run the higher RON then you won't see any performance benefits whatsoever.

Remember, octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel. It is only a measure of the fuel's burn characteristics. I higher octane fuel will have a more controlled burn allowing more agressive tuning and higher rcompression. Hence more power.

Octane boost will do nothing but empty your wallet.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Remember, octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel. It is only a measure of the fuel's burn characteristics. I higher octane fuel will have a more controlled burn allowing more agressive tuning and higher rcompression. Hence more power.

Octane boost will do nothing but empty your wallet.

Correct. Octane booster requires a tune adjustment (timing) to be of any benefit, but you wouldn't run your car on booster so it's pointless.

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
95 vs 98

I hadn't thought of using 98 at all as I have an account with Shell who in my area only do 91 & 95. I have been running my VE SSV on 95 for 6 months.
Did a trip down country and no Shell stations around so filled up at BP on 98 not expecting anything different.
I was very surprised when after a few ks the car seemed to me to have a bit more pep with cleaner throttle responses and smoother running, particularly when doing some "spirited" driving.
I don't know that it was any more powerful, it just seemed smother and a bit more agile.
Perhaps the previous owner had run it on and had it tuned for 98 or perhaps the 6ltr V8 just likes a slightly higher octane, I don't know.
Its all gut feeling with no figures at all to back it up but what made it interesting was that I was not expecting any change so had no preconceived ideas of what it would do.
I enjoyed the smoother performance so will be changing over to 98 (whenever I can get it) for a few months to see what its like.
From reading the forums and doing a bit of other study etc recently it looks like there might be a small economy improvement which should cover the small cost increase so I can't yet see any downsides.