Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.7ltr v8 in a vn

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
hey guys i was just wondering how much effort it would take to put i think its 5.7ltr but its the engine out of a hsv gto coupe and the six speed manual box into my vn exec. would i have to change much?? any help apprieciated

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
alot of effort! The motor your talking about is the Gen3 ls1. A few people have done this... Castlemaine Rod Shop supply many of the parts you will need which are, custom engine mounts, trans x-member, reverse starter mounting bracket, modified loom. not too mention the other custom things you might come accross like the exhaust, so its not for the fient hearted. It would guesstimate an easy 10K depending on what you do yourself it may be more.

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
i was talking to a mate who said id have to reinforce my chassis rails because they would twist is this true? and id try and do close to all the work my self

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
canb_vn06 said:
i was talking to a mate who said id have to reinforce my chassis rails because they would twist is this true? and id try and do close to all the work my self

Well remeber the VN had the 5.0L in it without any modification to the chassis and many people have put high powered 5.0L's in them (chargers etc) and no problem there. Just make sure you use all the v8 running gear ie. suspension, brakes, diff etc.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Its not the power that is the issue, its getting it in and fitting everything.. Thats where ALOT of the costing will come from.
There are alot of custom pieces that need to be made which send the price sky rocketing

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
could anyone here get me a rough quote on how much??

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
well if you have a house remorgage it cause its gonna cost a bit i remember reading on the streetcommodore forums the guy has put into close on $100,000 so far but his was carby fed and i think he chaged back to injectors but still a **** load of money ill see if i can find the link if im alowed to post it

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That car with the carby ls1 was built by a 17 year old kid and cost "10,000" total not 100,000

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
The street commodore article:

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 417
  • Image2.jpg