Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 Cylinder V6

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
should of got them to add oil to the cylinders and retest to make sure its rings ide say its rings the front 2 are higher cause they are allways colder being in the front of the engine so less wear.could also be 2 blown head gaskets between the rear cylinders on both banks but im sure it would run a lot worse if that was the case

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
should of got them to add oil to the cylinders and retest to make sure its rings ide say its rings the front 2 are higher cause they are allways colder being in the front of the engine so less wear.could also be 2 blown head gaskets between the rear cylinders on both banks but im sure it would run a lot worse if that was the case

Ran out of time to do the oil test - but also concluded that if it was blown head gaskets it would run alot worse. Car is not using oil. I've only added a cup full in the 12 months I've had it. And that probably leaked out..:p

On the express way @ 100 it's as smooth as. Nothing rattles at all. No shakes. Come to a stop at the lights and it gets up a real good brurp brurp brurp. Sounds like a really wild cam and the whole car gets up a bit of a shake n rattle. (new engine and tranny mounts a few months ago).

So next on the list is a set of injectors.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Damn, fair difference from highest to lowest. 100 is also the minimum spec for the V6.

Hmmm yes 100 is low - and 160 I thought was very high too.

But a worn compression ring should not make the car run so poorly at idle. - should it?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No. Does it tick at all? Maybe you have a sticky lifter. The missus VN is doing that and while it ticks it misses. But it clears itself after a couple of minutes.

Just had another thought, has the bellmouth been removed?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its VN so it wouldnt of ever had one

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Series 2 had one, but his is a series 1 I think.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
No. Does it tick at all? Maybe you have a sticky lifter. The missus VN is doing that and while it ticks it misses. But it clears itself after a couple of minutes.

Just had another thought, has the bellmouth been removed?

No I cant hear a lifter noise. (the wagon when using shell oil would clack on start up after about 5000 k's - which would tell me it's time for new oil)

So no lifter clack type noise at all.

It is more of a lumpy cam type idle when in gear stopped at the lights. No stalling or miss fire under load. Takes off like a rocket if you put your foot into it.

It has me buggered.

Bellmouth????? I have not checked that at all? Hmmmm should have a look tonight

norman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL calais S1
Does it do it out of gear at the lights (N or P)? if not could be your converter not disengaging the gear properly.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it do it out of gear at the lights (N or P)? if not could be your converter not disengaging the gear properly.

Yes it has the miss out of gear - just more noticable when in gear.

I replaced the injectors last night with a second hand set - but no change. I'll try a DFI unit next see if that helps. If you bring the idle up in neutral it has "fluttery miss".

I dont know if the single coil/DFI units can die on one set or not. Swapping the coils over would not help as it would just move the miss to another set of cylinders......

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm wondering whether it is just the way it runs at idle. If it runs fine under power and you are getting reasonable economy then I wouldn't be too stressed about it.

Do you have a timing light? Hook it up to each lead in turn and see if you are getting constant spark.