Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 Cylinder V6

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'm wondering whether it is just the way it runs at idle. If it runs fine under power and you are getting reasonable economy then I wouldn't be too stressed about it.

Do you have a timing light? Hook it up to each lead in turn and see if you are getting constant spark.

No timing light :(

The car has had a sort of miss for the year I've had it - it's only just in the past few weeks it become very noticable as the car is now being used on longer trips down the expressway (30 k trip) at mostly 100kph. Prior to that 70 was the max speed on it's trips.

I figure what ever is the problem longer faster deiving is making it worse - at some point what ever it is will break no doubt and require a tow.......

Next trip to the mechanic's will be to test the spar out of the coils/DFI.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update:

Had Davecunno have a squizz at the 89 green beast last night - swapped over the MAP sensor with my V8 unit and that made it run a bit better. Checked over all the spark and looked to be OK. Looking at the fuel reg and filter tonight (got a filter from Sprints on the way to work today).

Thanks Dave for your help. (nice Pickup in the VN 5 speed too).

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Have you tried changing the injector on number 5? with another? also look for a broken spring on 5, infact run it without the rocker covers and try see if both valves are working right, could be bent pushrod, broken spring, dud injector (if it's not electrical)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I dont think itd be a bent pushrod they can make a hell of a racket. and it if wasnt bad itd stil clatter a bit

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the car back from a fuel line rebuild today and the mechanic said the most likely problem was a worn cam. So it will stay like it for some time (I hope)

When I replaced the fuel filter last night the lines that go back to the tank were in about 20 bits. The top of the tank had lots of dirt on it that was very wet with petrol. So this has not helped the economy at all. Every time the car was turned off it would dump a small amount of petrol onto the top of the tank I'm guessing.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Got the car back from a fuel line rebuild today and the mechanic said the most likely problem was a worn cam. So it will stay like it for some time (I hope)

When I replaced the fuel filter last night the lines that go back to the tank were in about 20 bits. The top of the tank had lots of dirt on it that was very wet with petrol. So this has not helped the economy at all. Every time the car was turned off it would dump a small amount of petrol onto the top of the tank I'm guessing.

Easy to check. Whip off the rocker covers and turn the motor over (take out the fuel fuse so it won't start). Check each valve to see if it is moving up and down. It is quite common on the V8s for cam lobes to be warn nearly off.

Reaper

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Easy to check. Whip off the rocker covers and turn the motor over (take out the fuel fuse so it won't start). Check each valve to see if it is moving up and down. It is quite common on the V8s for cam lobes to be warn nearly off.

Reaper

I've not herd of the V6's having worn cams though!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I've not herd of the V6's having worn cams though!

Neither have I. It could happen on any engine though, particularly on pushrod style motors.

Reaper

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
so my advice didnt fix it shane ?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
so my advice didnt fix it shane ?

No not really - but the filter was over due and all the fuel hoses were shot and needed fixing up. Job done now and hope the car will stop losing petrol.

But thanks for your help on Sat night!!:thumbsup: