Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 Cylinder V6

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have a 5 cylinder V6 :(

The 89 Green sedan when purchased almost a year ago now had a bad miss when I got it. Fiddled here and there with new plugs, leads and some injector cleaner which made it run alot better. But it still has a miss in it.

Car has plenty of power. I'm thinking it's not a burnt valve as it revs nice and takes off no problem (thanks to a greenfoam tune)

I've got the econnomy down to the 12's (from 18's) L/100kms. O2 and temp sensor fixed most of that.

When you bring the idle up to 1500 the miss is intermittent. (burnt valve would be consistant I would think)

I thought it may have been No 5 as when I took the injector plug off it had the least effect. BUT on close inspectoion of the lead it was not even on the coil plug properly - pulled back into the rubber boot. The top of the coil pin was a bit corroded. Cleaned that up and new plug lead for No 5. Re tested the injector plugs off again and No 5 had the least effect again. Changed plug again - but no change. When I pull the injector plugs off all the others the engine almost stalls every time.

I swapped over coils (has the 3 small units) to see if I could move the problem - but no. Could not really tell.

The harmonic balancer looks new. Can the CAS cause a miss? The car dosent stall at all.

It looks like it's a recon engine as it has tags on the rocker covers to that effect. Car has done well over 350,000 I'd say.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i'd agree check comp and/or hook a vac gauge and see how it goes.
Is it a s1 aswell shane? what tags does it have on the cover?

My wagon's miss has come back again i just deal with and say it a v6 damn most annoying things about them

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
id say you might have a water leak into a cylinder which is causing a miss fire.
i had exactly the same symptoms with a XF and it was the head gasket letting the smallest amount of water into a cylinder.
upside to it: that cylinder was clean!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
id say you might have a water leak into a cylinder which is causing a miss fire.
i had exactly the same symptoms with a XF and it was the head gasket letting the smallest amount of water into a cylinder.
upside to it: that cylinder was clean!

lol nothing like a steam clean to get rid of carbon. after a while itll start to corrode the alloy though.
But yeah headgasket is another possibility

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not losing any coolant. No milk in the oil.

Same oil for last 12 months.

I've ruled out ECU & Memcal as I've tried several already

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
ruled out coil packs and dfi that fixed my wagon for about month or so

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's off the mechanic's tomorrow for a compression test on No5. This is the cylinder that has the least effect on the engine when removing the injector lead.

The car is running very poorly at idle chug chug chug. But has plenty of go in it. It dose not have a typical fluff fluff fluff from the exhaust when an engine has a burnt valve. But all the electrical but check out OK. All the plugs are the same colour. Leads are new. Swapped over the coils and No 5 still was the issue so I think it will be a mechanical issue as it head gasket or valve.

On a 100km round trip to my brothers on Sunday night it returned 10.1 L/100 with me testing the power a few times - when cruising at 100 you would not know it has a problem. Normally a burnt valve or head gasket would not run sweet at 100kph.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Compression test showed up as

1-160
3-130
5-135
2-160
4-100
6-130