Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 litre performance ??

jamiefh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman V8
Hey everyone

I just bought a vs statesman with the 5 litre v8. This is my first v8 and I'm not sure how quick they should be but when I drive it, it feels slow. I have a vs calai with the v6 and I reckon it feels faster

Is this normal?? If not maybe somethings wrong with the 5 litre ?? Is there some things I should do?? any help is much appreciated.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
VR Buick V6 Power = 130kw.
VS Ecotec V6 Power = 147kw.
5.0L V8 Power = 165kw.

Not a great difference there. Certainly not like the difference between the chev LS1 (about 250kw, depending on series) and the ecotec.

0-100 you wont notice much of a difference, but above that the 8 pulls harder. Also, V8's respond better to mods like extractors and exhaust more than the 6.

There's a reason they call the aussie iron a boat anchor, however the low compression ratio of 8.3:1 is awesome for adding boost to.

Projectile

imports (n)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS BT1
can you run a supercharger straight onto standard compression? i got ACL flat top pistons in mine when it was rebuilt and i always wondered if i would have to get lower compression to add boost or if i could just bolt on?

Last edited:

jamiefh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman V8
Yer I would like to know that and if so what brand should I put on

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
(on a VN 5L) I've got the usual mods i.e. tri- y's, metal cat, single 2.5 pipe zorst, 3.45's. Got it dyno tuned too and went ok when she was auto. Then converted to manual and a retune and made 170 odd kw at the wheels. the manual made a huge difference

Still feels slow to me, but i've only ever messed with v6's and my racer v6 is very snappy. In comparision tho the old v8's have a way better spread of torque

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
VR Buick V6 Power = 130kw.
VS Ecotec V6 Power = 147kw.
5.0L V8 Power = 165kw.

Not a great difference there. Certainly not like the difference between the chev LS1 (about 250kw, depending on series) and the ecotec.

0-100 you wont notice much of a difference, but above that the 8 pulls harder. Also, V8's respond better to mods like extractors and exhaust more than the 6.

There's a reason they call the aussie iron a boat anchor, however the low compression ratio of 8.3:1 is awesome for adding boost to.

Don't quote torque at all will you... That will destroy your little theory.
Best thing you could do for the 5ltr is a good service.
Plugs, Leads, Dizzy cap and rotor button, coil. A 5spd conversion will really open it up too. Bit of a bastard job but so worth it.
If it hasn't already got one, find a nice LSD center.
Obviously all the usual exhaust mods.
Then look at modifying the motor. Look into getting the heads shaved to bring the comp ratio up a bit. I'm not sure on the particulars regarding it, thus why I say look into it.
A decent cam will get it singing as well. If you go this far, contact nicefrog on ebay about a custom memcal, I think he does them for around $70. But decide if you want a cam or not first. If you do, get the cam done prior.

tooslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY MALOO SII SUBARU LIBERTY B5 WAGON
Hey everyone

I just bought a vs statesman with the 5 litre v8. This is my first v8 and I'm not sure how quick they should be but when I drive it, it feels slow. I have a vs calai with the v6 and I reckon it feels faster

Is this normal?? If not maybe somethings wrong with the 5 litre ?? Is there some things I should do?? any help is much appreciated.

the reason why your v6 feels faster is because your stato is heavier than your v6
just do normal service with new leads and sparks then see how it feels then
dont bother changing it to a 5speed unless you got the dough for it cos you could spent that money on something else
with your diff it should be lsd already cos its an 8 so just change the diff ratio