Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 spd conversion

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
hows all,
i want to throw a toyota 5 spd into my vc 6 cyl, so i am after any suggestions on the matter, basically i want to know which one is best and what conversions i need to do to the box and crossmember also clutch plate, also is it much of a pain in regards to time e.t.c as it will be a weekend job hopefully which for me is generally only one day.

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
probably is worth more than the car, but there is reasons for it's existance, hence why it is being kept alive and improved

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
If you want it, keep it! A celica 5 speed should suffice, you could chuck a Supra box behind it but it wouldn't be worth the extra cost. Castlemaine rod shop make the necessary kit to convert I beleive, http://www.rodshop.com.au

JBonDSS

Reaction score
I think the Celica will hold just fine, I had a celica 5spd behind my 100RWKW Blues 202, in a VH track only car, so it only got abused & it held up just fine.

& I only paid $100 for that box. its all the conversion parts that ad up, Belhousing, clutch plate, speedo cable & cross member. I had to make a spacer to run a std holden clutch cable.

They are a good box. nice smooth shift.

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Sweet, thanks for the info, i had heard that the celica was a good box for it but u can never be to sure, i figured i would have to do a fair bit of mod to fit it in though, it may seem silly to keep it on the road and spend this amount of cash on it but when you live in regioal areas you get sick of waiting for upto a week plus for parts to arrive, atleast with the older commodores i can go to any wreckers or spare part mobs and find the parts straight up

edgeyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V8
Make sure its the steel cased celica box. I used one behind a mild 202, in a FC build I did. Went great. Used Dellow Automotive conversion kit. Fitted easy in a day with a mechanic mate and a carton. If your going for a performance 202 the supra is a stronger box, but depends what your after?