Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 speed gearbox

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
ok i've heard mixed opinions about the 5 speed gearboxes that came out in early commodores.
some people say they're ok
most say they're really weak..
how weak are they really? can they take much abuse?
any info appreciated, cheers:thumbsup:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
the 5 speeders...???
only ever good behind the 4 cylinder
or maybe the 2.8 6cylinder...just
nothing bigger though

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I've heard that too, I've know a few of those boxes to snap linkages regualrly just from normal driving. Maybe thats one of the weak points?

A lot of people do change them over to supra/celica gearboxes, due to the fact it's a stronger box.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Yeah, the 4 speed seem to be that bit stronger....

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Depends My early 5 speed is still holding upto a mild efi202, that is used for club motor sport.
Might be i drive it right for the box.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I had a rebuilt M76 in my VK temporarily with my Hot 202, The first time I didnt get out of the end of my street.
What is weak in them is the circlips that retain the gears on the main shaft. Also the width/thickness of the gears esp 1st & 2nd. My boxed destroyed 1st and second pulling the gears past the circlips destroying the gears & syncros.
Second time around I had a main shaft machined to take larger circlips. After about a week the gearbox exibited early signs of the same problem. I stripped it down to find markings against the circlips & excessing movement of 1st & second.
I put new circlips in and sold the box to someone putting it into a carbie 202 stocker.

What breaks these boxes is torque & load in 1st & second gears. Also loading 5th gear up isnt good for them either.
If its a good car I would recommend a T5 conversion, the V6 T5s & Ford 6cyl T5 boxes are getting pretty cheap now, and work very nicely using a cable driven clutch. The are also Celica 5 speeds & Supra 5 speeds to consider also, but my personal preference is the T5. If you dint mine a 1:1 top gear ratio you can't go past an Aussie 4 speed, 6cyl M20s go pretty cheap now and are very easy to rebuild with new bearings etc.

cheers
Scott

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
What mods are needed for the T5 though?

Bellhousing, crossmember... what about clutch and flywheel? Or being BW would it take the same as the MC6 and M76?

edit: oh and tailshaft too?

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I had a carby 202 with a 5 speed in my vk before i bought my vx. I was very unhappy as i had to have it rebuilt twice in twelve months. Mine was stock except for extractors and exhaust.

From my experience i would warn you off the five speed box. just not strong enough to handle the power.