Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5-Speed VN Rally-ish Bomb.

Carl351

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn S-Pack Commodore
Hi guys, have been a reader of the website for a while and though i would drop in a few pictures of my 5-Speed VN Spack.
Bought with the idea to compete in the local car clubs events, and was after something reasonably robust.
Found a friend had this just sitting around and just wanted it gone, $250 bills later,

IMG_1142_zpsebf7222f.jpg

Fast forward about 2 years now, and have done a bit to get it slightly more rally-spec.
List includes;
Bought some Redback extractors, and a good friend made up a 2.5inch exhaust with turndown at the diff.
Spool for the diff to make sideways happen.
Hydraulic handbrake to aid in the sideways ventures on the bitumen.
Series II could packs because that is very race
Cold air intake which was given to me by a very generous cousin.
Huge weight loss mission, (for the car) gutting the interior and removing all the A/C stuff.
And then pretty much just went about driving it.

After a while realised that the standard seats were doing a below average job of keeping me seated so i bought some SAAS racing seats from a good friend.
Then made up some adapting brackets (Cheers Brent)

IMG_0395_zps1c5b79ff.jpg

And bolted the seats down!

IMG_0398_zpsff7cd9f4.jpg

IMG_0401_zps120eb832.jpg

So got thinking and decided that the 'turd covered in burnt hair' appearance should change, and that the faithful commy needed a bit of a facelift.
Thanks to Commo Configurator i did a bit of a rough design of which i wanted..

Commo1_zpsc41450d9.jpg

Anyway thanks for the view, and hopefully i will be able to get some more work done on the rig soon (on apprentice budget yay)

Cheers,
Carl

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Commo1.jpg
    Commo1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 304

Carl351

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn S-Pack Commodore
Yeah it is good fun man! And good to have something that i can happily lean on without the worry of an expensive replacement :)
Anyway got a little more done today, plans are to paint the inside also, so have been smashing away at sound deadner and sealer stuff, even got the apprentice to help! (Sorry for the shitty ipod pics.)

IMG_0435_zps703c215e.jpg

Then started looking at a more convenient place to put the handbrake, and used part of a pizza box for a template of course.

IMG_0438_zpsca3254bb.jpg

Upon putting it there, realised that it was going to hit on the wiper and vent controls on the dash surround, soo

IMG_0436_zps946c3d8d.jpg

And then had a quick play with where the handle would now fit, much more accessible and wont knock the car out of 2nd if i bend the handle again! :)

So now i will be getting some steel to bend up and probably tek screw into place, and then it will be onto bending and flaring up the new lines when we get around to it!

Last edited:

DavoVP

Reaction score
Cute ranga, This thread is now about her.

Carl351

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn S-Pack Commodore
Hahahaha she is blond but the picture kinda killed that. Either way she was a good helper )

Carl351

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn S-Pack Commodore
Got a chance to have a rally over the weekend, the club had their test and tune day so heaps of runs were had.
Ended up putting a 65mm throttle body on to improve some top end power and it seemed to show good results.
The pretend-ranga girlfriend took some snaps:

As usual more work to be done, have decided i want to play around with wiring up a switch panel and button start for fun so might do that eventually, and maybe start sanding some panels back.
Cheers guys!

Last edited:

Carl351

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn S-Pack Commodore
Hahaha thats right, pretty much a factory rally car ;)
With the spool and the other minor mods it has had it has been a lot of fun though, and a great budget way to start motorsport stuff too!