Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5000i into vy ute?

commrestore17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute 2003
I have a manual vy ute with 5 spd Getrag and standard ecotec. The whole drive train apart from the engine is fairly fresh. Ecotec is standard but at 400k and eventually will need to be replaced. I will be putting an 8 into it, yes the LS engines are the go but wanted to see if anyone has done a swap over to the older aussie 304? Are there technical reasons why its not a good idea as in ecu or wiring that would create a big issue?

I'm looking for constructive feedback please on doing this. The car is a hobby and I only want to hear back if you have looked into it and have some suggestions or experience to share.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
As the 5 litre predates production of VY you won't be able to legally put a 5 litre in a VY.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
a 5-0 VU ute would be mint as a daily but alas we can't :(

commrestore17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute 2003
Thanks for letting me know this, what a shame. You've saved me a tonne of time looking around. From what I could find out they are a great motor.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I will be putting an 8 into it
I'm looking for constructive feedback please on doing this.

Sell V6, buy V8, don't bother doing the conversion as everything is different between the two. Kframe, tail shaft, gearbox bolt pattern, all wiring and the ECU. It's cheaper and faster just to buy something factory, they're not thin on the ground after all.

commrestore17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute 2003
Thanks for the info RJK, you have a point. Heaps to change if its a swap. I cant part with this ute, too many hours on straightening the body, I hope I get over this v8 thing before the ecotec dies, probably will, 400k and its going great.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
This is an extract from the EPA Guideline for modified vehicles
There's a sticky in the General section.

e) Replacement of an original engine by any other engine is permitted provided that:

i. if the original engine was originally fitted with emission control devices or systems, then the replacement engine must be of similar or later age and must be designed to meet the same or more stringent emission standards (plus the emission control devices or systems applicable to that replacement engine must be fitted and operate in the correct manner)

and

ii. The mass of the vehicle must be no more than 114 kg greater than the mass of the vehicle from which the replacement engine originated.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I know it's not a v8 but what about the super 6 (supercharged v6) , that would be doable and can be made to go really well .

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6