Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5hdd in a 4hdd vr

Aussiestyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 94
I have just stripped my Vr lexen 95 and it has a 5hdd auto init we bought a Vr Calais 94 which has a 4hdd i have booked it in for a change over and would like to know the differrence and what changes the mechanic will do ? and what effect it will happen

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
It will bolt up fine and work fine under 80km/h. Going 80km/h+ the torque converter will not lock up properly and run the risk of cooking itself with the 5dhh used instead of 4dhh. 4dhh is 12 pins 5dhh is 13 pins. I am selling a good 4dhh with 166000kms for $300 if you are interested.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
5hdd from a VR will have the 12 pin plug and will work 100% on the 4hdd wiring and pcm.

Aussiestyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 94
The transmission mechanic said it would be ok Cruzn sorry i dont have the cash as i have just stripped the lexen to use the gear box as the calai 4hdd trans dosent reverse thats why i got it cheap i am using the lexen torque converter aswell unfortantly i cut the wiring from the lexen as i was to lazy to unplug it. will i have to get another loom or will the calais be alright to use Jxw your saying it will be ok ? i will be doing alot of long distance travelling is cruzn right or is he trying to sell me a box ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
will bolt and plug into the loom fine, have a look at both transmissions and the round plug on them, count the number of pins in it.
If there is 12 in both then it's a simple bolt in swap with no other hassles to worry about. (As they're both VR transmissions then this should be the case, 13 pin transmissions weren't used until the VS)

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
What is 4hdd and 5hdd?

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
these are the numbers given to the auto used and identify year version and other specs of them

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
the lexen has 13 pins in it its a 95 vr

I was not simply trying to sell you a box, I was just trying to help. 5hdd was used from about October 1994 to September 1995 and has 13 pins. A 5dhh box is a 5dhh box and was fitted to BOTH VR series 2 and VS series one. It makes no difference what car it was from. Like i said it will bolt up and work fine until 80-90km/h when the torque converter will have to lock up. 12 pin and 13 pin boxes are not interchangable. A 12 pin will always work with a 12 pin replacement box and a 13 pin will always work with a 13 pin replacement box.

Best of luck though. You could try fitting the 5dhh box yourself and see how it goes. It only takes a couple of hours to swap a box over.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It will bolt straight in and with a small bit of modification will work, as you have the 13 pin connector.
As you have both transmissions there it's fairly easy to swap a few bits between them and then jam/stake the tcc luf/pwm valve in the open position in the valve body (this is hard to reverse if you intend to use the 5hdd in it's proper manner again).

You need to use the 3-2 control solenoid from the 4hdd and the transmissions internal wiring loom(you can simply use the 5hdd loom but you need to bend the pins in the solenoids connector to line up with the 5hdd wiring loom plug)

Instead of locking the valve in the open position it requires removing the valve body which is more work, so holding it in the open position with a screwdriver and then taping the valve body to mishape the bore so it won't move is the quickest way.