Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l alternator working, nek minute not

bsb84

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L vs ute
been reading other posts but people dont seem to post how they fixed things, neway, had my ute sitting in the shed idleing, my alternator works fine for a bit putting out low to mid 14, then it drops down to 11's, without moving the ute, checked and cleaned all connections, replaced fusible link bit at the battery, now im kinda guessing regulator, is it common for these to drop in and out, basically im saying its 14 something one minute, then drops to 11 something then will go back to 14 without moving the ute or touching anything, and im only posting this cause ive flatened 1 battery now and the second one only jus turned her over today

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
Sounds like your regular is munted. Easy to replace, just screws on the back of you alternator. If the alternator feels or sounds harsh, you might be better off just replacing the whole alternator. Good luck.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
How old is the alternator? Probably worth replacing the bushes when you do the reg.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
How old is the alternator? Probably worth replacing the bushes when you do the reg.

The brushes are part of the regulator.

Also check your charge wire at the back of the alternator and battery.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure you disconnect the battery negative terminal before you try and replace the regulator.

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
I second blackvxgts, if you dont youll soon understand lol and brushes are in regulator. you can just get new brushes and solder them in which will be about $10 plus your own time. A new reg cost me $65 when I last got one

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
def use a bosch item, i tried a cheap version of a regand the brushs wore out realquick and dusted the comm and windings real bad in carbon dust. Which is bad as you can imagine, only askin to short windings there.