Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L Auto box issues

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
hey all,

VT Commo 5L Auto, done about 100,000k's.....went for a trip to local holden earlier today to get a coolant sensor for a mates car...and to have a peek at the new VE up close anyway, goto take off up the road not hard or anything and it stuck in first ?? Checked I didnt do something stupid like lock it into first but nothing so pulled over and took off again and seemed ok. Shifted 1st to 2nd to 3rd then hit a bit of a hill and it shifted down by itself and just revved its nuts off :(

So yeah its holding gears esp 1st and when it does it a downshift under accel from 3rd to 2nd it just neutrals. Fluid is all good and clean as a whistle, stopped by repco joint on way home as I know a guy there and hooked her up to the computer and no fault codes and nothing in the history either. He took it for a quick burn and said it seemed like a solenoid but couldnt be sure.

I see in search other people have had similar issue with solenoids but most are no fluid twits. Anyone got any suggestions of what it might be and how much $$$

Cheers

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
sounds like it just needs a service, drop by a an auto trans place and speak to someone bout it :)

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
ok well either service or something fubar..has anyone got any suggestions of whos good bad or otherwise for auto trans stuff in the SE subs of Melbourne around the Dandenong area ? The only thing I've heard is bad things about Transtyle in Hallam and I know someone else recommended Endurance in Dandy a few years back

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
ok well done the rounds this morning and definately done some bands and also the reverse clutch plate is stuffed.

Been given prices of about 800-900 for repair (assuming when they pull it out they dont find anything else)
Or about 1600-1700 for a rebuild

Despite the higher cost id feel better with a rebiult box even though it hasnt dont that many KM's

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
When it rains mine seems to get stuck in 2nd a lot, but thats by choice lol

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
it just seems 100,000kms is not much so the need for a rebuild is quite strange

my vt v6 has 145,000km and auto serviced by independant place every 40,000km and its like brand new...

just seems odd that yours needs a rebuild so early in its life

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
general consensus is bands or solenoid, most are leaning towards solenoid because of the jerkyness in reverse but I dont really know. And yeah theyre all saying 700-900 to repair so im almost keen to spend the extra dosh and have the piece of mind that itll be 110%

either that or spit it and buy a new car :D

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Give RVO a call, best trans builders in australia :)

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
giddy up theyre nice and close to work so that helps. Will give them a call

Cheers mate

edit: minux your a legend mate they definately know thier stuff and thier price is better than anyone by $250 which normally id hesitate at but the quick search I did on RVO turned up numerous results about general rebulds and esp toughened rebuilds for beast gen3 projects so I think I've made up my mind

Last edited: