Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L EFI - changing the distributor cap and rotor

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
You'll probably want to do this the first time you change your plugs and leads, there's significant HP recovery that can occur if your old parts are worn out. Also, it seems it might be worth the effort of changing to a fresh coil at the same time :) (thanks Reaper)

=============================================================================
Thanks to whiteknightVR94, here`s some tech info for the 5.0L.

Firing order: 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3
Spark plug gap: VR/VS, 0.8mm - 0.9mm. VN,VP,VQ 0.95mm - 1.05mm
Spark plug type: AC R42LTS (geuine holden) although they use Nipon for all EFI commodores now
Ignition timing: 10 degrees B.T.D.C

I had a much more detailed write-up but the bloody thing crashed on me right as I was about to submit it .. **rage** I very nearly didn't bother doing another one, but since I'm a nice person, here we go!

You'll need:
- new dizzy cap
- new rotor
- screwdriver
- sandpaper
- hammer and a foot or so bit of wood to tap something with (I used 2 hammers :))
- whiteout or black marker - depending what colour your leads are

1. Number all your leads. Write each number twice in case one rubs off. It doesn't matter how you number them as long as you can remember. Take a photo if you have to, you don't want to put your leads back the wrong way around. Remove your numbered leads and stash them off to the sides out of the way.

2. Undo the 2 clips (same as the ones on your factory airbox) holding the distributor cap on. One of mine was stuck, hence the screwdriver :)

3. Remove the dizzy cap - you'll need to pull the hoses out of the way, it's tricky to get out.

4. Pull the rotor button off, if it's tight just pull harder and wiggle it around if you have to.

5. Sand back the opposite side of the shaft to the cutout, this is where the metal contact will be. Only really necessary if it's rusty, like mine was, you could probably get away without doing it at all, really. I just did it because it seemed..... better.

6. Instal your new rotor button, taking care to line up the cutout in the metal shaft. Use your hammer and bit of wood to give it a gentle tap once you're sure it's lined up OK. Don't have to tap it if you don't want to, I just wanted to make sure it seated right.

7. Instal your new distributor cap. The metal clip locations will give you the 2 ways this could go on, only one way actually works. Try each of the 2, twisting it around to see if it locks in.

8. Clip the cap into place. If the clips don't engage, your cap isn't located properly - try step 7 again. If that doesn't work, try taking the rotor off and doing that step again.

9. Replace all your numbered leads, ensuring they go on the same way as they came off, or your engine will hurt badly when you start it up.

10. Have a look at the poor condition of the old parts and be happy that you've done this job.

11. Fire up the motor, listen to the smoothness. Enjoy knowing that you've restored a few lost HP, or that your efficiency will now be that tiny bit better, whichever you prefer.

I noticed the difference immediately, the straight-cut timing gears on my 5L made it very obvious when the idle RPM fluctuated.... not any more :) It runs much smoother now.

Hope this helped some people :)

Sam

Last edited:

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
i hate doing these, have you ever had to rermove the coil, only to get it bak together, only to find out that the old coil is fine, and that you have to do it all over again.
I wouldnt bother sanding the shaft back, unless you have compressed air handy, otherwise you will end up with all the **** you sand off winding up in the dissy/CAS, and no 2, you shouldnt need wood to bash the rotor back on, it just pushes on, no large amounts of force neccesary at ll

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Never played with a coil .. yet. I just did the sanding gently, just enough to get the surface rust off, made me feel better somehow :) and yeah good point about the rotor, it was more like a couple of gentle taps to make doubly sure it seated properly.

Thanks
Sam

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
i hate doing these, have you ever had to rermove the coil, only to get it bak together, only to find out that the old coil is fine, and that you have to do it all over again.
I wouldnt bother sanding the shaft back, unless you have compressed air handy, otherwise you will end up with all the **** you sand off winding up in the dissy/CAS, and no 2, you shouldnt need wood to bash the rotor back on, it just pushes on, no large amounts of force neccesary at ll
They couldent have picked a worse spot for the dizzy. You should also replace your leads and plugs. Also here`s some tech info for the 5.0L.

Firing order. 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3
Spark plug gap. VR/VS, 0.8mm - 0.9mm. VN,VP,VQ 0.95mm - 1.05mm
Spark plug type. AC R42LTS (geuine holden) Though they use Nipon now for all EFI commodores now (I have them in my car, there a great plug. made in japan=quality)
Ignition timing. 10 degrees B.T.D.C
Ok you don`t really need to take a photo just do this.
Stand at the front of your car and look at the motor the No 1 cylinder position on the cap is the one that would be N,NE ( NORTH, NORTH EAST) if you were to look at the cap as a compass *8* POINTS. then just go clockwise 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Never played with a coil .. yet. I just did the sanding gently, just enough to get the surface rust off, made me feel better somehow :) and yeah good point about the rotor, it was more like a couple of gentle taps to make doubly sure it seated properly.

Thanks
Sam

If your coil is old (and it probably is) a new one can be the goods. I found .2 0-100km/h on the Gtech by simply changing the coil. The motor never missed or anything with the old one but the new one kicks arse.

Reaper

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
OK. So it is the coil that I need to buy? I made 200rwhp with my current setup (internally standard motor) so everything seems pretty good, however if the coil doesn't cost too much I'll have to swap for a new one. Aftermarket (MSD or similar) or standard?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
:thumbsup: Always glad to help and B helped :thumbsup:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Bump for an old thread, because this how-to is brilliant :)

I'm just about to pop downstairs and do this myself! I'll let you know how it goes.

You're a legend Savage :D

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thanks mate, I needed some good news.. obliterated some suspension in a burnout comp yesterday.. got a bit of stuff to replace now :s

Anyway glad to be of help mate :) have fun!