Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L Hunting on idle

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
Hey guys i need to tap into some knowledge. I have a 96 VS Clubsport and the issue i have is with the motor when its on idle, it tends to hunt between 500 & 1000RPM (only when its warm). I just cleaned the air filter out and have just replaced the fuel filter, but to no avail.... im thinking F#@*ed oxygen sensors now, but what do you guys reckon? any help would be greatly appreciated.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I had bad hunting once. Turned out my fuel hose on the rear of the passenger rail was loose and squirting out raw fuel. So air leaks in the fuel line will cause this. But it could be the IAC sensor on the throttle body is sticky and needs removing and cleaning(more likeley). If its sticky it will get stuck, then close off more then it has to, then it will try to open and suddenly jump back open more then it has to creating the hunting effect.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Iac, and full the throttle body off and thoroughly clean it out.

Have you checked the timing?

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
Alright if i remove the IAC and clean it, is there any reprogramming required after installation for anything????

No i didnt check timing, i didnt think timing would be a cause...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I dont think timing will cause hunting. An no you should need to reset anything, as long as you dont have the key on while your doing it. Worst case you have to disconnect the battery to clear codes and reprogram your radio stations:)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Could be the TPS playing up. Do you have a manual or auto? If you have an auto you should also experience other symptoms such as harsh gear changes and/or unwillingness to change to higher gears. If you have a manual you may only notice it playing up at idle.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
O2 sensors don't operate at idle anyway so it can't be those. I'm thinking IAC as well, or a cracked vacuum line.