Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l knock ensor issue

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
im having issues with my knock sensor on my senator. the guy i bought it off got extractors put on it and during the fitting stage the knock censor and its wiring got damaged. so the exhaust shop put in a new censor in and cut and shut a new plug on it and ever since then the engine light comes on with a knock censor fault. i have been told that if the length of the wiring to it is alter it won't respond. is that true. any help would be greatly appreciated

STL17

Whipit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged vp v6 manual
Come on people some1 should know

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
wouldnt think 10 cms woul make bugger all difference. new doesnt mean perfect could just be a faulty new sensor

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
check the whole length of the wiring for any more breaks.

a mechanic working on my car broke the wiring when putting in engine mounts

check the passenger side engine mount area where the knock sensor wire runs

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
ok i checked the wire and there is no break in it. put in another knock censor and the light stays on. been told that the fault light will stay on till the fault is cleared.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
You must clear the error codes to see if the problem is gone. The codes lock in till they are cleared.

Shortening and legnthing the wires ect..= BS. curcuit legnth makes no difference in this case.
One thing that may not be apparent is if the wires got stretched and the cores inside maybe broken, but the insulation is still intact. This can usually be found by a very close visual inspectio at any spots where the wire may be broken and feeling the wire by bending it. It will feel extremely weak and limp and hollow if this has happened where you bend it. I highly doubt this has happened, but could have.
As abaove, new dosnt = garunteed working 100%. The zorst shop would have fitted the cheapest nastiest replacement they could find.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
check you have a memcal with a filter board for the knock sensor on it :p may have removed a tuned memcal and refitted a stock one with no knock filter when he sold it to you

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
the memcal and everything are fine. i got the car off a mate and i no his history with the car. the wire seams fine, it sends power through it when we tested it. not sure on the quality of the knock censor tho. my mate would have got one from his work as he sells automotive parts. the part that was worrying me was the wire. someone told my mate that if the length is changed or anything like that then it will affect the signal.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
wire doesnt matter .make sure he fitted a vn-vr v6-v8 one not an ecotec one or it will still spit codes

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
alright cool. i put another one in on Sunday. just waiting to get the code cleared now. went to a place this morning but there scan tool wouldn't read the computer. so went and booked it into a place with a tech 2