Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L Misfire Part 2

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
I have had a misfire on my VP 5L a while ago and I let it sit for a while.

The misfire is now no longer intermittent and is pretty much constant.

I've replaced the rotor, distributor cap, plugs. I have also checked the charge coming off the alternator and its normal. The leads and coil have both been replaced in the last 18 months. Also there are no fault codes.

If anyone has any insight into what it might be it would be appreciated. Thanks

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
Its one of the next things on my list, as soon as I can get a hold of one.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Get one of these mate. You won't be disappointed. Far superior design to the factory item. I got the next level above this one though. I was a bit hesitant at first but the module is awesome and the seller really great to talk to. Tell him Andrew with the clubby recommended him and I'm sure he will look after you.

Holden Commodore Ignition Module V8 5 0 Racing Exchange 3yr Warranty | eBay

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've had one of these Racing modules in my 5 L VQ Stato for the past 2-3 years and I can highly recommend it. Car seems to have more power than with the GMH original and the car seems a lot easier to start. But maybe I've forgotten how good the original performance was when I bought the car 20 odd years ago.

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
Okay time for an update.
I tested the ignition coil with a multimeter and the primary (between the positive and the negative was up to spec). However the secondary which sends the spark from the coil to the distributor registered 15.5k ohms when according to this thread the range should be between 5.9k to 7.3k ohms.

I'm not even sure if this is the right coil for the car it was just thrown in at a Holden mechanic out in the bush when the oil coil packed up in the middle of nowhere.

I don't much about auto electrics but being twice the accepted range seems like somethings wrong to me.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Get one of these mate. You won't be disappointed. Far superior design to the factory item. I got the next level above this one though. I was a bit hesitant at first but the module is awesome and the seller really great to talk to. Tell him Andrew with the clubby recommended him and I'm sure he will look after you.

Holden Commodore Ignition Module V8 5 0 Racing Exchange 3yr Warranty | eBay

+1 I got one of these too, the seller couldnt be more helpful, he knows his stuff...

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
However the secondary which sends the spark from the coil to the distributor registered 15.5k ohms when according to this thread the range should be between 5.9k to 7.3k ohms.
Sounds like it might even be an old points type coil.
Not sure what sort of coil is used ex factory but chuck your dud one away and get one from a blue motor. IMHO they are slightly better than the stock plastic transformer style coils despite looking old fashioned and daggy.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
ummm no....
wrong advise above....
Injected 5.0L uses a MEC716 coil to replace the oil filled type. not a HEI718 coil that blue motors use.