Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L no oil up top

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If rockers caked in oil sludge I'd be thinking blocked filter.

My brother dry sumped his ute then drove it back to my place with oil pressure light on...took me 3 attempts packing pump with grease then firing it up to get oil pressure on gauge.

Av8 dudes have a thread on how to make contraption to prime engine fool of oil before starting...if it keeps losing oil pressure it needs to come apart,if oil pressure light stays happy dayz

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If rockers caked in oil sludge I'd be thinking blocked filter.

My brother dry sumped his ute then drove it back to my place with oil pressure light on...took me 3 attempts packing pump with grease then firing it up to get oil pressure on gauge.

Av8 dudes have a thread on how to make contraption to prime engine fool of oil before starting...if it keeps losing oil pressure it needs to come apart,if oil pressure light stays happy dayz

We have a oil primer at work it's a 4kg gas bottle with a special neck and a hydrualic hose on it. Had to use it on my VS last week.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I feel that the pump needs priming as it will never suck oil otherwise. The 5 and 4.2 Litre V8's have always been notorious for this issue, believe me I found out the hard way. That's why many engine re-conditioners will fill the pump full of Vasoline so that it sucks oil on initial start up. After that it should be fine.

The major hint here is "the pump is new", thus I'm sure it's the trap for young players coming into effect here.

If I recall correctly we ended up filling the engine for it's first oil fill via the oil pressure sender hole. You can't go wrong that way. It's just very time consuming I might add.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I feel that the pump needs priming as it will never suck oil otherwise. The 5 and 4.2 Litre V8's have always been notorious for this issue, believe me I found out the hard way. That's why many engine re-conditioners will fill the pump full of Vasoline so that it sucks oil on initial start up. After that it should be fine.

The major hint here is "the pump is new", thus I'm sure it's the trap for young players coming into effect here.

If I recall correctly we ended up filling the engine for it's first oil fill via the oil pressure sender hole. You can't go wrong that way. It's just very time consuming I might add.

OP said he vaso filled the pump....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
NEVER pack the pump full. Just a light coating on the gears is all you need.

Sorry, Yes that's correct............it's more so a figure of speech within the industry I guess. Jamming it full creates it's own set of issues.

Last edited:

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
A little bit of pressure was short lived. So the oil pressure is pretty well zero at cold start and then builds within 15 seconds to 8psi and will not get much higher than 10 at relatively cold idle. When you rev it the oil pressure reduces to 5 or less. I tried a thicker oil trying to eliminate bearings and it started knocking immediately so I out thinner oil back in it. I'm thinking I'll try another pump before dropping the k-frame and sump. My mechanic mate thinks previous owner has melted bearings and filled galleries in crank full of white metal and so motor is not getting oil up top.. or down bottom I suppose

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Cracked pickup tube or missing/damaged gasket can cause them to suck air. You’ll never get oil pressure if that’s the case.

Is the oil light on?
hey mate. Light is on at initial start for 15 seconds then comes off for about 2 mins and then comes back on and stays on. I put a gauge on it when it was warm and the pressure drops when you rev it. sits at about 7-8 pounds at idle. my mechanic reckons because its been run dry for about 15 kms that its melted bearings and oil holes in crank are blocked but.... it had a top end lifter noise prior to lifters and pump being changed

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hey mate. Light is on at initial start for 15 seconds then comes off for about 2 mins and then comes back on and stays on. I put a gauge on it when it was warm and the pressure drops when you rev it. sits at about 7-8 pounds at idle. my mechanic reckons because its been run dry for about 15 kms that its melted bearings and oil holes in crank are blocked but.... it had a top end lifter noise prior to lifters and pump being changed
If that was the case blocked ports on the crank would increase the pressure, lack of pressure is because the bearings and journals have to much clearance that means engine wear. I say the only way to know whats going on is a engine pull down.