Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l questions

groberr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr equipe
hey guys. so im dumping a 5l in my vr as soon as i can i no everyone says dont bother its cheaper to buy a v8 car, but ive just had this car painted and has sentimental value to me so im gonna keep it. so my questions are wat kind of power can i expect to make out of the 5litre at the wheels? and also maybe thinking of stroking one to 355 would a 355 stroker be reliable or not?

cheers guys

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
A stock 5 litre can be anywhere from about 165 rwhp to 225 rwhp, depending on tune exhaust and such 125-165 rwkw ish

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
mines 145rwkw and thats with 160,000km and a few bolt ons. so not much over stock only about 200kw at the front from 179kw stock.
so yeh as greenfoam said it can vary depending on engine condition and what you start with exhaust and tune wise.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
hey guys. so im dumping a 5l in my vr as soon as i can i no everyone says dont bother its cheaper to buy a v8 car, but ive just had this car painted and has sentimental value to me so im gonna keep it. so my questions are wat kind of power can i expect to make out of the 5litre at the wheels? and also maybe thinking of stroking one to 355 would a 355 stroker be reliable or not?

cheers guys

What Greenfoam says. That said - stroke it, jam up some compression and cam then it's a matter of how much money you want to pump into it re-power output. Just as a guide - the last of the 5 litre group A commodores were pumping out around 450hp (flywheel) at around 7000rpm (10.5:1 compression) in race trim. Chuck enough $$$ at it, you should get something around there in stroker form.

Reaper

groberr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr equipe
ok guys thanks for the replys im kinding aiming at around 200 kw at the wheels without forced induction does this seem possible and also would i be able to get rego for the car? thanks guys

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ok guys thanks for the replys im kinding aiming at around 200 kw at the wheels without forced induction does this seem possible and also would i be able to get rego for the car? thanks guys

That is do-able. Prob look at changing your intake somewhere along the line to make your life easier.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can JUST make 200 rwkw with the banana manifold, JuST :) on the 304. It's nuch easier if you change the manifold although then it becomes more obviously not quite road worthy, but sill close enough to most people :). A good manifold suitable cam some more compression and good exhaust will see 200 rwkw for sure