Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L radiator replacement pickle

VT Vanders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L 304
Hi guys quick question hopefully

Brought a new radiator, tranny Cooler and over flow bottle from Aussie Desert Coolers went to install it today, pulled the 2 main hoses off went to pull it out before realising theres another 4 hoses connected. New one only has the 2 hose connections. Sooooo what do I do with the other 4 hoses? Lol

do I run the tranny line only through the tranny cooler and then what’s the other 2 hoses for?

tried attaching a photo but apparently it’s to large?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Only options are transmission or power steering.
Have you contacted ADC to see if they have a manual and auto option and sent you the wrong one?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

VT Vanders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L 304
Yeah I rang them up. Old mate reckons they don’t do them because there all high performance gear.
so I’ll just Get some new hoses made up and run it straight from the tranny to the independent tranny cooler then? Will that be sufficientfor cooling the tranny? It’s not very big lol

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I run a big trans cooler as well as it running thru the radiator

This is on the assumption that you want trans fluid around the 80-90°C range, well that is what was recommended to me

From my trans it first goes thru the radiators water to oil cooler, then the air to oil cooler, then back into the transmission

Getting any oil up to it's running temp range is as almost important as not letting it to hot, running your trans fluid thru your radiator water to oil cooler is what brings up the temp a bit quicker (as well as some ECM's changing line pressure to heat up the oil) and it also aids in pre-cooling before it gets to the air to oil cooler when the trans is at operating temperature and leaned on

Leaning on most transmission when the fluid is cold is a recipe for disaster

So, in theory, with a radiator running around 80-90°C, when your leaning on your transmission, and the trans fluid exits at 130° C and into the radiatorswater to oil cooler, it may to cooled, say, around 20%, which is 26°C, so now your fluid is at around 104°C, then, running thru a air to oil cooler, you may loose another 20%, so another 21° C, maybe, thus bringing down the fluid temp to 83°C, the happy place, prior to it hitting the transmission again for another serve

But, my measurements are not 100% accurate, shooting a hose connection to get an idea of fluid temp is rough to say the least

But, my assumption that the trans is happy temp wise is from that I've been running over 500hp thru the built and tuned 4l60e with a 2800rpm stall, after about 10k km, my trans fluid is still nice and clean looking, with no signs or smell of overheating

On a side note I do flush the transmission yearly

TL;DR check your trans fluid temps and go from there.
My transmission guy said to run the fluid thru the radiators water to oil cooler as well as a air to oil cooler

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

I always run an A4 paper sized trans cooler. I always ran them post radiator for reasons attached above if it's a non plastic core radiator.

But they do ones with a thermostat valve these days that may interest you.

VT Vanders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L 304
Ginger Beer
How much did the 4L60E rebuild cost you? I’m strapping on a Harrop supercharger at some stage. That’s gonna be 10g well 12g with the intercooler, then the high stall and the cpu and tune all on top. That’s happening though, plus a 10grand paint job, colour change to black. People are telling me to get an LS but that’s not gonna happen… I have one of the last aussie blocks on the road and I will run it knowing I can’t get the same horsies but I got that 5 Litre clap.
Obviously gonna need tranny rebuild and high stall converter. Just wondering what I’m gonna be looking at

VT Vanders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L 304
Ginger Beer
How much did the 4L60E rebuild cost you? I’m strapping on a Harrop supercharger at some stage. That’s gonna be 10g well 12g with the intercooler, then the high stall and the cpu and tune all on top. That’s happening though, plus a 10grand paint job, colour change to black. People are telling me to get an LS but that’s not gonna happen… I have one of the last aussie blocks on the road and I will run it knowing I can’t get the same horsies but I got that 5 Litre clap.
Obviously gonna need tranny rebuild and high stall converter. Just wondering what I’m gonna be looking at
Other thing is I have lost the ability to run the trans cooler Through the radiator with this new one. Is an external tranny cooler gonna be enough.

VT Vanders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L 304
It’s a HSV Manta with a tow kit. So has the tow bar and ball.the paint job comes with all new plastics on everything, new rear passenger windows because apparently the rubber strip on that triangle window Is attached to it and it’s gonna stand out like dog balls once it’s painted. ******* off the tow bar and getting the plastic piece to fill the hole.

little off topic there. the tranny runs through the radiator then to the front to the exterior tranny cooler but that comes with the tow package (external tranny cooler) It’s not gonna be towing **** lol. Not sure if the externalcooler is a HSV thing or just apart of the tow package. That’s more what I’m worried about I think. Losing the radiator cooling part but the external Is probly 3 to 4 times thicker than the original.
1800 dollar radiator+fans and shroud, tranny cooler and overflow bottle.
Triple core radiator plus the “raptor core”

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ginger Beer
Craigs built 4l60e cost me $4k

I would get the right radiator with the water to oil cooler in it

Or, your really going to need to monitor your trans temps, from there you can wirk out air to oil trans cooler size requirements, and possibly a Spal fan on it, I would also have the fan thematically controled

I know of a few people that removed the auto radiator and just run a manual cooler with a air to oil trans cooler, only to put the auto radiator back in

Getting and keeping the trans temps in check is imperative if you don't want a gearbox full of neutrals, even with a built transmission