Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L running too hot after cam installed??help

thetriksta99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5litre
i have installed a crane stage 3 blue racer cam in my vs commy which has no other internal mods, but has pacys, full exhaust. i have had the haltec interceptor installed to allow tuning and to increase rev limiter, it has been dynoed and tuned by a professional but still runs hot just cruising down to the shops 10mins away. anybody that can offer any advice i would greatly appreciate it!:surprise:

Last edited:

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
so it was fine before you installed the cam? Is it actually running hot? Could just be a faulty sensor or gauge, get it checked with a scantool perhaps to check the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. If there all fine then Prob more to do with the tune, incorrect timing or fueling perhaps.

thetriksta99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5litre
nah didnt run hot b4, it has a new autometer gauge and sender and is def getting hot cause she steams up when i turn it off.....i also put the biggest desert cooler in it at the same time, its called the burnout king. only thing i can think of is the stock water pump might not be able to pump through the big radiator but its a poor theory...

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Start with the basics like - thermo stat, water pump, radiator (new so should be fine) and maybe a code check.
If it's not that stuff then maybe timing might be out, head gasket wasn't installed properly or cracked heads?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you have the original clutch fan it maybe worn out?

thetriksta99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5litre
i took the clutch fan off and running twin thermos, with a 3 position switch so i can make them push or pull the air. (pushing out only when on burnout pad)
heads were untouched and has no thermostat so i will try the error code next n see what comes up. standard water pump is about 12 months old but that doesnt mean its still good. i will check it too.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive read a few times lately about people having trouble with temp gauge senders - (sensors),some aftermarket ones make the gauge read differently to some others.It might be worth trying another temp gauge sender unit.

lukey383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
your best bet is to get a laser thermometer and check the temperatures, check before and after the radiator to see if its cooling through there, check the heat after the thermostat, once you eliminate all that maybe get a cooling compession tester and see if its a blown head gasket

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
has no thermostat .

There is part of your problem if the thermostat isn't there to stop the water flow it doesn't have time to cool down. But I wouldn't think it would make it overheat in ten minutes.