Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L shift kitted power button question.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys,

Just wondering whether having a shift kitted auto trans in a 5L Vr Ute complicates things when it comes to engaging the power button.

It runs perfectly and shifts hard in normal mode (without power button pressed) but runs funny with power mode on. I will elaborate on "runs funny" when I give it a good test. It appears to shift at odd points and revs differently.

Does a shift kit negate the effectiveness of the power button or should i research this further?

Any info appreciated, cheers guys.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i had a transgo stage 2 kit in my old vr ss. it worked fine. all the power button does is make it hold gears longer and kick down with less throttle application

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
It's not a "power" button, it's more an "eco" button, because the power light comes up when the buttons up. So when you press it, you're turning on eco mode. Which as stated above holds gears longer and will engage the torque converter earlier.

Say you're going 70km/h with the power button up (so the pwr light on the dash is on), Revs should be sitting around 1800rpm, press the power button and you should feel/notice the torque converter kick in, it will change gears and the revs will drop to say 1450rpm. Not exact numbers but you get the idea.