Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L swap questions

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
Im thinking about putting a 5L in my vr, but im tossing up as i have a manual v6 (loom and ECU) with heaps of cash put into it and a $600 clutch, so i dont know if i should put a v8 in as idk what will cost me more in the future and what is actually fatser, also some people say a v6 clutch fits on a 5L and a v6 T5 fit on a 5L, also what actually 5L manual boxes are out there?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you don't even know the basic differences between v6 & v8 model then you might want to do alot of research before even considering it.

Put it this way most of the v6 gear does not swap over or ends up more headache than it's worth like using v6 t5..1st gear is too short & longer input shaft for starters.

Use search function & read up grasshopper

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just sell it and buy a v8 save all the headache getting the paper work done, if you want a few more kw then put a 25mm mace spacer kit on your underside of plenum.

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
Just sell it and buy a v8 save all the headache getting the paper work done, if you want a few more kw then put a 25mm mace spacer kit on your underside of plenum.
Yeah bro, my main issue is the manual bit, i have no idea what v8 gearboxes are out there, or if the v6 factory manual will cost me more money to sell then a 8

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
, if you want a few more kw then put a 25mm mace spacer kit on your underside of plenum.
Pretty sure Adrian has a Buick, IIRC. That being the case there is no spacer available.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Just sell it and buy a v8 save all the headache getting the paper work done

For once in my life I'd have to say that's the best bit of advice Big T has come up with on these forums. ;););)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
if you want a few more kw then put a 25mm mace spacer kit on your underside of plenum.

Still yet to see evidence that this "mod" isn't a placebo effect, especially because of how much Mace sells these insulators for. A few more kilowatts? Doubt it would even gain a literal couple.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As you probably know they work by keeping the air cooler inside the LIM. Like anything keeping that air cooler increases KW. On an Eco it is supposed to be around 5kw increase but lets face it 5KW will only be a smidge noticeable under foot.
Like i said though a LIM spacer is not available for a VR Buick, so not going to help anyway, unless the OP has an Eco or SC, which i think he has a stroked V6 Buick, unless I'm getting confused with an another member.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll just add that I have done some testing on ways to keep the MAT temps down and by just wrapping the intake pipe in heat shield it drops the temp quite a bit. I can't remember without going through my old threads but I'd say its 20deg C or more by simply wrapping the tube.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just need to correct those figures on MAT after looking at my build thread. The runner tape reduces MAT by about 5deg C not 20 or more. But considering MAT get around 35 -40deg C 5deg is a decent reduction.

Last edited: