Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L timing and leads

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Put into diagnostics it really shouldn't be jumping when set timing with bit of white pen/liquid paper & dcent timing light.

If group a manifold is bucket list item 8.5k not too bad compared to what people now want for original item & agree you'd really have to want one super badly to save up & buy one...still cool ticket item!!!

Aftermarket single plane better bang for buck but when a fellow holden tragic sees group a twins on your motor you that farker will want to cry!!!!!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Put into diagnostics it really shouldn't be jumping when set timing with bit of white pen/liquid paper & dcent timing light.

If group a manifold is bucket list item 8.5k not too bad compared to what people now want for original item & agree you'd really have to want one super badly to save up & buy one...still cool ticket item!!!

Aftermarket single plane better bang for buck but when a fellow holden tragic sees group a twins on your motor you that farker will want to cry!!!!!

Yes .
Can't believe back when I joined here probably could have and should have just paid/bought a trick shift manifold and put it aside for when.
Now any 3 are just lotto win/dreams = also because too many other projects !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Theres a guy on FB called Mr TTB who has started remaking the group A manifolds.

He's done 1 batch so far but I don't know what the price is, and frankly I don't want to know.

Probably about the same as what genuine would get 10 years ago!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My pocket totally concurs.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
When I had mine just got blue screen nokia 8210...

All the pics were on disposable camera you took woolies or whatever to get developed haha

Vn group A manifolds if you could find one were roughly 3k missing pieces like rocker covers or harness etc complete or new ones 5-6k...Walky manifolds about half that & most passed on Giocattola manifolds.

I turned down $1500 Walky manifold 'cos seller rubbed me the wrong way total @sshole & deal just felt wrong so passed...it was also missing parts.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The real annoying part is it looks to be darting from 9-12 degrees if that makes sense, I set it anyway on 10ish degrees and now it hammers in low end rpm, just hate timing as I'm scared too much advance will murder my motor

You seem to (understandably) lack a bit of knowledge on how the ignition system in a Holden EFI V8 commodore works. Refer to the items below from the Holden VS Workshop manual. In summary:

There are two "modes" of ignition system operation:
Bypass mode
EST mode

In the bypass mode, the ignition system operates independently of the ECM, with bypass mode spark advance is always at 10 degrees BTDC. The bypass mode is in effect when cranking the engine. The ECM has no control of the ignition system when in this mode.

After the engine starts (RPM > 450), the ECM will cause the ignition system to change over to the EST mode. Once the change is made to EST mode, it will stay in effect until either:
1. The ignition key is turned "OFF,"
2. The engine quits running, or
3. An EST fault is detected. If an EST fault is detected while the engine is running, the ignition system will switch back to the bypass mode. The engine may quit running, but will restart and stay in the bypass mode.

In the EST mode, the ignition spark timing and ignition dwell time is fully controlled by the ECM. EST spark advance and ignition dwell is calculated by the ECM:

Attachments

• 1.6 Ignition Systeml.pdf
    234.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 1.6 Ignition Systeml.pdf
    234.7 KB · Views: 116