Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l turbo Q's

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
Titles a bit vague but I decided to start putting money aside and in a couple months I'll be putting a turbo on the 5l and I'm just working out how much cash money I'll need and other stuff I'll need to work out that someone else whose done it knows about. I'll start off pointing out that this is a stinge build and I only want low boost so I don't have to change engine internals and because this is what I'll drive to work every day so I'll be aiming for low 200s at the wheels.

The kit comes with manifolds, wastegate, gt35, alt relocation kit etc etc but doesn't mention injectors, but thats something that I'll definitely have to get, now will I need a new fuel pressure regulator and will I need a new fuel pump or is the stock capable of that? And it's my understanding that stock computer tuned on a dyno will be fine for the job?

Lastly (for the moment) I do want to get it engineered, what would/wouldn't be up to scratch just going off personal experience or even guesses at that? I'd appreciate any input on anything I missed etc.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
if u only want around 200 at the wheels just supercharge it man, hell of alot easier to fit and remove if u get a defect

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
if u only want around 200 at the wheels just supercharge it man, hell of alot easier to fit and remove if u get a defect
Wow that's helpful!
You will need new injectors, a higher flow pump and if your doing it on the cheap then go a 1:1 rising rate reg. To be honest there is no such thing as a cheap FI setup.

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
Yeah thats true, lets say a cheaper one then, and by my educated guess it's still gonna end up cheaper than a terra charger for the same-ish results.

VE SSVMY10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10 M6
Wow that's helpful!
You will need new injectors, a higher flow pump and if your doing it on the cheap then go a 1:1 rising rate reg. To be honest there is no such thing as a cheap FI setup.

Yes that's right you will need injectors, High volume pump and wouldnt hurt to put some
dual valve springs if you can afford a bit extra just for a bit of insurance

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You'll want something bigger then a Gt35 as well.
Not for "sikhekticness" but that turbo will be way out of its efficiency range for a 5ltr motor. If you go a bigger turbo you'll hit boost later, meaning it wont be getting a hiding around town.

This would be my pick.
TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

Remember, a small turbo doesn't mean small boost.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yes that's right you will need injectors, High volume pump and wouldnt hurt to put some
dual valve springs if you can afford a bit extra just for a bit of insurance
It's a 5l not a LS1/LS2/LS3, etc so it wont need valve springs for the factory rev limiter.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
You'll want something bigger then a Gt35 as well.
Not for "sikhekticness" but that turbo will be way out of its efficiency range for a 5ltr motor. If you go a bigger turbo you'll hit boost later, meaning it wont be getting a hiding around town.

This would be my pick.
TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

Remember, a small turbo doesn't mean small boost.
I would be inclined to go bigger, lots of guys had good results with 4088's.

blo304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Titles a bit vague but I decided to start putting money aside and in a couple months I'll be putting a turbo on the 5l and I'm just working out how much cash money I'll need and other stuff I'll need to work out that someone else whose done it knows about. I'll start off pointing out that this is a stinge build and I only want low boost so I don't have to change engine internals and because this is what I'll drive to work every day so I'll be aiming for low 200s at the wheels.

Why even bother for 200 at the wheels. Keep engine stock get acl mls gaskets $280, arp head studs $130 (ebay US), run 10-11psi and make 250+rwkw

The kit comes with manifolds, wastegate, gt35, alt relocation kit etc etc but doesn't mention injectors, but thats something that I'll definitely have to get, now will I need a new fuel pressure regulator and will I need a new fuel pump or is the stock capable of that? And it's my understanding that stock computer tuned on a dyno will be fine for the job?

Get 42lb EV6 Bosch $445 new (ebay aus) (dont buy second hand and dont buy hi-flowed), Factory reg is rising rate and is fine. Stock computer is fine tune will be around $900, Bosch 044 fuel pump $190, run an undercar surge tank (i.e stock intank feed surge, 044 post surge

Lastly (for the moment) I do want to get it engineered, what would/wouldn't be up to scratch just going off personal experience or even guesses at that? I'd appreciate any input on anything I missed etc.

Plenty missed there but they are some main costs, if the 35 is all you have then stick with it, plenty of people running them, it will be on boost very quickly though

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
Thanks guys thats helpful, I'll take that all in to consideration. Anyone tried getting a FI 5ltr engineered at all?