Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l valve travel.. possible cam issue!

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
Hey guy..

well ill start from the top on this one..

long story so sorry :p lol

my sister has a VG 5l 5speed ute..
at about 270thousand ks it was gettin real tired so my folks decided to recon it for her 18th

as stupid as it was, they decided to go with city dismantles pretty much just for the warranty
the first small issue was we had rand up on a friday asking if it was done yet? they said yep allready to go come down in the morn.. so we get there and what do ya know, motors only just going into the spray booth!

okay small mistake didnt worry to much.. so we loaded up and headed.. after a couple hours was in and we fired her up.. a fair lifter tick happening.. waited for it bleed itself out, no luck kept ticking away like crazy

so we rang in the morn an asked what they sugguested (for warranty sake) the big boss said drive it back to melbourne, get it serviced at 5k.. it should all be fine..

first service came ticking worse than ever.. so we booked it in got down there and they listened.. oh thats just lifter noise itll go away!

didnt bother arguing just agreed..

come 1k later.. still wouldnt shutup so we came back again, waited literally ALL day there just to be told at 5.30 oh you cant drive it home youll have to take the loan car:bang:

it took then 8 hours to establish it was deffintaly a lifter making the noise and that there was a oil pres drop at certain revs etc..

so we left it with them, they replaced one bank of lifters, no luck.. replaced the other side no luck.. put yet another set it.. an it was a bit better.. they sent us on our way again..

another 1k later louder than ever!!!

by now dad wass pi**ed bigtime cos we chose to get it done by someone else for warranty and after 3g they cant get it right! he rang the bloke who owns the show (if anyones met him youll understand LOL, its like elvis cross wog) when the bloke finally worked out dad knew what he was on about he started to reason

so we go back again and they say oh it was a bad pack of lifters we got .. so they said they replaced them and it no longer ticked..

BUT its still an absolute gutless bucket of s**t,, it literally went harder runnning oh 7 cylinders blowing a cloud of smoke!!

prior to rebuild it always had a bit of a lumpy idle always suspected a slight cam

now lope at idle is gone an its just crap, doesnt want to rev either
whats the chances that they threw the cam on there dialing machine and just punched in standard figures to a worked cam an f**ked it?

anyone know the standard travel of the rockers to save us stripping it down?

its been dyno'd at 160rwhp
not sure what they should be..
but its deffinatly not right, like driving it with massively retarded timing

an example.. on a closed pad obviously :p it had no problems holding 2nd peeling in a locker, with a bit of effort smack 3rd and kept it going

now you grap 2nd and it just dies..

sorry for the massive rant but this thing is giving everyone the sh*ts big time!

cheers guys :thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The standard cam has a lift of .43 ish at the vavles if that helps :). Check the timing etc a stock rebuilt 5 litre should be putting out more than 160 rwhp really

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
cheers mate exactly what i needed!

i know ignition timing is all sweet
cant be sure on cam tho..

who knows with the morons at cd >.<

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I know what you mean by elvis cross wog, that's exactly how I describe him. :p

He's not a bad guy but you have to actively keep him honest if you're dealing with him, heh.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
its in his blood to rip people off thats all :p

baha unfortunatly me and my sister are the kinda people that will just crack up laughing at people that look weird or stupid lol we couldn help but laugh at his hair peelings of.. we could see the glue and all :p

LOL

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
we checked it properly mate dont worry:p baha

had a new dizzy put in by the dyno mob cos the original had been a lil bashed by CD >.<

still no win