Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L vs gearbox and 5.7l WH statesman gearbox

Bigstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN 5.7 v8
From research I understand that the 5.7l have a 4l65e 4 speed auto I have lost 3-4 previous owner put diode in and there was big chuck yeah metal but in the oil pan, was thinking of just swapping the box because **** it, the v6 4l60e from my understanding can bolt up if u change the bell housing input shaft and torque converter however won’t be able to handle the power but will I have to change the same stuff if I buy a 4l60e transmission out of a 5L vs or will it just bolt straight up and happy days

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
From research I understand that the 5.7l have a 4l65e

They don't. It's only the VZ 6.0, VZ Clubsport, and 2004 Crewman and Tonners. AFAIK there's no technical differences (outside of year by year revisions) between the 5L and the V6 4L60e, even the LS 4L60e. And no, the 5L box won't bolt on.

Save yourself a bunch of dicking around and just buy the right box. Changing the input shaft is like a pump out job.

Last edited:

Bigstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN 5.7 v8
So buying a 5L 4l60e I’ll still have to change input shaft and bell housing

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Fairly sure the 304 used the Turbo Hydramatic bolt pattern and the LS pretty much used the SBC bolt pattern, so bellhousing at least, and depending on which one you get it might have a single piece casing which means the bellhousing does not come off. You also run the risk that it won't actually plug into the loom on the car either.

Why use a 5L box anyway, it's not like the LS ones less common than the 304 boxes.

Bigstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN 5.7 v8
Fairly sure the 304 used the Turbo Hydramatic bolt pattern and the LS pretty much used the SBC bolt pattern, so bellhousing at least, and depending on which one you get it might have a single piece casing which means the bellhousing does not come off. You also run the risk that it won't actually plug into the loom on the car either.

Why use a 5L box anyway, it's not like the LS ones less common than the 304 boxes.
Cheaper